Any Fix for Playground on XCode 10.1 (Under macOS 10.4.1) Not Displaying Anything on the Console and the Side Bar (The One on the Right)

Hi. Any fix for Playground on XCode 10.1 (Under macOS 10.4.1) not displaying anything on the console and there's nothing too on the side Bar (The one on the right). Playground breaks easily. The programming had to be stopped coz' it's a bit tough to program with instability.

I've tried: restarting XCode, erased the subfolder in the DeriveDat and iOS Support folder (in the hidden Library folder) as well as resetting the PRAM and SMC and doing the cmd-R (after a restart) Disk Utility thing. I've also checked the hardware (press D upon restart one).

Thank you in advance.

God bless, Proverbs 31

Replies

Is it just iOS playgrounds that are broken? If you create a new playground using the macOS > Blank template, does that behave itself?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi. Thanks for the reply. When you open a new Playground, sometimes it would work (console and results would display the value). Now it's working but now the auto bracketing feature doesn't work even though it's enabled (I never disabled anything in the preferences). This is running on macOS Mojave 10.14.2 (just updated today). I've sent it to bugreporter (including the sysdiagnose file).

When you open a new Playground, sometimes it would work

OK, but what type of playground? After choosing File > New > Playground, which template did you choose?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Playground type is Blank.

Playground type is Blank.

iOS > Blank? Or macOS > Blank?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi. Merry Christmas (12 Day Christmas seasons ends on Jan 6) and a happy new year everyone.

iOS Blank Playground.

Thanks.

What happens if you choose a macOS > Blank instead?

In my experience many folks default to using an iOS playground even though they’re not doing anything iOS specific. That’s less than ideal because iOS playgrounds rely on the iOS Simulator, which introduces a whole world of extra complexity. If you can get away with a macOS playground, you avoid that complexity (and it’s faster as well!).

You might want to take at this article, which has a bunch of helpful playground hints and tips.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

The tipp using a mac playground instead solved the core location issue I had completely.

And thanks for the article.