Notarization Issues

I'm having problems getting my app notarized with Apple from the new 'Release' version of XCode 10.0 (10A255) that came out today.

1. I build my MacOs app with 'Hardened Runtime' enables, and deployment target set to 10.2

2. I select Product/Archive, and when the Organizer window appears, I select Distribute App/Developer Id, and Upload' to send it to Apple for Notarization.

3. In the following screen I select 'Automatically Manage Signing' when prompted. It all builds smoothly, and I press the Upload button to send it to Apple. The state changes to 'Processing' in the Organizer window

4. Shortly after this I get an e-mail from Apple "Your Mac software (bundle identifier com.blah.blah) has been notarized. You can now export this software and distribute it directly to users."

5. Excited, I go back to XCode, bring up the organizer. But it still says 'Processing' against the app, and the 'Export' btton is still greyed out.

6. If I click the 'Show Status Log' button there, an error pops up - 'Ticket Not Found. Failed to staple ticket to 'blah.app' because no ticket was found'.

Is anyone else having problems like this? Is notarization not working? Or can anyone spot if Im doing something wrong?

Replies

There are many other threads on Notarization not working with that error. Surprisingly, one guy today said it worked for him, but many more it seems not. I have been trying it every day for weeks and still see this error 100% of the time.

It's certainly not working here (again).

I got notarization to work a couple of times during the beta using the altool to notarize a dmg image, but that's now stopped working because the notarization service complains the binary has inappropriate entitlements.

So now I'm trying to notarize my apps through Xcode / xcodebuild. I've gotten to the point where they archive successfully, pass the pre-flight, and upload to the notarization service.

About three hours later I'll get an email that says "Your Mac software has been notarized. You can now export this software and distribute it directly to users" along with the UUID matching the upload.

But when I go back to Xcode, or try to use xcodebuild -exportNotarizedApp, all I get are "Ticket not found" errors.

Same problem here with the final XCode 10.1.

I have gone to the command line tools to check status:

lionking:fj heda$ xcrun altool --notarization-history 0 -u xxxxx -p yyyyyyy

Notarization History - page 0

Date RequestUUID Status Status Code Status Message

------------------------- ------------------------------------ ------- ----------- ----------------

2018-11-07 14:10:55 +0000 d45fd193-7cde-4746-9a37-1da61fdb22c2 success 0 Package Approved

Then

lionking:fj heda$ xcrun altool --notarization-info --uuid d45fd193-7cde-4746-9a37-1da61fdb22c2 -u xxxxx -p yyyyyyy

2018-11-07 15:19:23.305 altool[30138:7515749] *** Error: Apple Services operation failed. Could not find the RequestUUID.

Strangely I have had succes via the command line tool with a XCode 10 beta, where notarization-info was called eval-info, but after cleaning that beta version out no succes.

I finally got a response from DTS, and they suggested upgrading to Xcode 10.1 and Mojave.1.

I was already running that latest Xcode release, so I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave and that seems to have fixed it. Uploaded archives are now showing their approved status in both the Xcode UI and the command line, and they staple/export correctly.

I am having the same problem with Notarization. I have updated to Xcode 10.1, but I'm on macos 10.13.6. I can't update to 10.14 on this machine. So I guess if you don't have a newer machine you can't get an app Notarized !

You can notarize using Xcode 10.1 or newer and macOS 10.13.6 or newer. However, there are a few issues with older macOS or Xcode versions you may need to work around that are documented here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/resolving_common_notarization_issues?language=objc

The overall notarization guide can help with a lot of the other questions listed above:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution?language=objc

Thanks Haikeeba, but I already found and followed all the advice in the documentation. How do we report details of problems with notarization? I have three apps. All have been submitted at least three times for notarization. Every time I get mail saying all is good. Only once have I been able to export my app. In all other cases the organizer never seemed to get the message that the app was notarized. What do I do? Just resubmit every hour and hope it eventually works?

That does sound odd. Please file a technical support incident or a bug at https://bugreport.apple.com and reply with the ID #. Please include your request UUIDs from Xcode in the bug report (not here) so we can investigate the jobs in question.