When will AVReaderWriter example be updated?

The AVReaderWriter was last updated in 2016 for Swift 2.3. I am a newby, and have been unable to upgrade or convert it using the Xcode tools. I tried going from Swift 2 to 3, in preparation of going from 3 to 4, but got a ton of errors. I downloaded every version of Xcode since 8.0 to try and incrementally upgrade it, and it quickly fell apart. Is there an update schedule for their documentation? I hear Swift 5 is coming out, and I am sure 6 and 7 are not far behind. I'm not sure how people are supposed to figure this stuff out if the documentation is several versions out-of-date, I guess it is easier if you have a lot of experience.

Accepted Reply

https://github.com/gogoqaz/AVReaderWriter Updated for Swift 5

Replies

Anyone know where we can get an updated version of AVreaderWriter?

Did you file a bug report against documentation ?

Thought I'd check back after 6 months, doesn't seem to be updated. Only been a few YEARS. Willl try again in 6 months.

I wouldn't expect those legacy sample projects ever to be updated, since new samples are appearing in the regular documentation. I don't see anything there now, so I recommend you follow Claude's advice and file a bug report asking for it.

It's probably not worth trying to do the built-in Swift version conversions. There's not a lot of code, and it's probably easier just to rewrite it in Swift 5 with the old code as a "recipe".

I know I did get this one working myself last year (so, Swift 4 or 4.2?), but I can't find it now. If you run into specific problems, post code fragments here, and we should be able to suggest how to change the code.

Does anyone at Apple read these forums? It would be great if they could say when they plan to update their sample applications. I need to upgrade my iPhone 5s, but I want to be able to make video processing apps for my mobile phone. If I knew it was going to be updated within a year, I would be willing to wait.

>Does anyone at Apple read these forums?

See the section on 'Apple Developer Forums Personnel' via forum support, but as we're looking at 3 years since that sample was last modified, it is a safe bet it's on ice, and have to ask if you're been reading the replies in this thread so far, or just talking to yourself.

Keep in mind that each sample code project is a build-able and executable source example of how to accomplish a task for a specific technology. Sample code is typically intended to show programming techniques and illustrate use of technologies at a given point in time, but again, are only examples, lacking optimized code, etc. and it can be a mistake to hang your hat on any one of them.

They show the correct sequence of calls and parameter data types to provide a generalized method for API use that developers can modify for their specific needs, and once those APIs and technologies evolve, it is common for older samples to wind up fossilized.

The norm then is that when APIs change and move forward, the dev changes and moves forward as well, so be sure the device you replace your 5s with is hardware compatible, then see the latest AVFoundation/AVCam sample here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfoundation/cameras_and_media_capture/avcam_building_a_camera_app

Bump. Been waiting a few years for Apple to update AVReaderWriter. Trying to be patient.
The advice you received from others on this forum to file a bug report (which is accomplished these days using the feedback assistant) was sound. We use your bug reports to help prioritize our work, so that is your best way to let us know that you'd like a particular piece of sample code to be updated (or any other request for that matter).

I've filed this as FB9051526. Currently the Swift project is difficult to reason about, as launching it produces about 70 compiler errors. I'm not aware of any other modern Apple sample code or conceptual documentation on how to use AVAssetWriter.

https://github.com/gogoqaz/AVReaderWriter Updated for Swift 5

This is fantastic, thank you!! I just got a MacMini to try and figure this out again (still a beginner though).

Is there a preferred iOS Device and iOS version of software that should be used? I have tried different versions going back to iOS 12.4, which is the oldest my M1 Mac Mini appears to support. Running gets the below error, and clicking "Cyanify!" button brings up the progress screen, but never finishes. I assume I am testing it wrong.

2021-12-22 18:52:16.689870-0800 AVReaderWriter[1873:38584] <CATransformLayer: 0x6000000f87a0> - changing property allowsGroupBlending in transform-only layer, will have no effect 2021-12-22 18:52:16.782267-0800 AVReaderWriter[1873:38750] [ddagg]    AggregateDevice.mm:878  couldn't get default input device, ID = 0, err = 0! thread_policy_set(1) returned 46