Can we decrypt APFS encrypted files from recovery data

Hello,

I have a 10TB APFS encrypted external disk (G-technology), but it was died during decryption. May be because of the interruption of the decrypt process.

I used third-party software to find all the lost data, however a part of the recovery data cannot be opend. It seems all these un-openable data are still encrypted.

So is there anyway to decrypt these file, or can I continue the decryption process?

Thanks a lot.

Replies

Hi Knobe, did you find a way to fix this?

I have exactly the same issue, although with only 2TB of data.

Same issue, I know this is not a support forum but I also have a 10TB external drive and a MacBook Pro M1 and I had two disk mounted, erased one folder on the second hard drive and for some reason a specific folder on my 10TB drive with the same name ended up being inaccessible. After giving it some hours to recover the folder remained grayed out so I decided to eject the drive and tried to mount it again but it did not work. Ran a repair using disk utility and no luck.

I have tried two recovery software and they all have the same issue. They don't ask for decryption password and some files are ok but most of them are "gibberish". Using OpenSSL I might be able to decrypt them but I'm still researching.