VPP, Redeemable Codes and International Users

If I have an Enterprise customer that wants to purchase around 100 copies of my app via VPP and wants to use redeemable codes to distribute to their users, can this work when these users are based globally?

It looks like that when the customer purchases these codes from the US App Store that the codes are only redeemable on the US App Store? Is that right?

If this is the case, how can my customer use VPP and still distribute to their global employees (and they don't have an MDM to do this distribution).

Thanks

Steve

Replies

VPP is not available in all countries (total 34 at this time?). I'd start by confirming if you and your client can participate.

See: http://www.apple.com/business/vpp/

That process (purchasing) applies to you and your client(s), not the client's users (store distribution).

If the client gives a redeem code to their user, that user can be in any country you've selected via iTunes Connect/Pricing and Availability, for that app. Just remember that not all apps can be made available in all countries.

>(and they don't have an MDM to do this distribution).

Don't conflate MDM distribution, which occurs outside the store, with store distribution.

The list of VPP countries is used to establish the home location of the buisness that is purchasing from you. Once they purchase and distrubute the app it simply needs to be avaliable in the country store where the users are located.

As KMT points out, not all countries can have all apps. Some countries don't have iTunes App Store access at all. You need to verify with your customer that the app can be sold in the countries they want to install it in.

Thanks you. That helps a lot. We are good for the local countries - nowhere strange. VPP would be in the US with distribution mainly in European countries.

Thanks again.

Hi @KMT and @Dubs

So it turns out that this doesn't work.

I did a test run with my customer and they just purchased a single copy of my app from the US App Store, where they are based.

They selected 'Redeemable Code' and once downloaded sent me the link to try (I'm based in the UK).

Clicking on the link gave me the message 'Error - This code is only valid for customers of the United States store'.

My app is definitely available in the UK store (worldwide actually) so that shouldn't be the issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

I think the process relies on the home store of your client/customer (US in this example), being the same as their user (you/UK) both being the same. In that example, they are not. You, the user, would need to be in the US too, which is why that error is saying valid for US store only.

When Apple says that your VPP customer's users can be in any country where the app is a available, the caveat should apparently be "as long as they are in the same store/country as the VPP customer providing the code".

Hello,

We are in the exact same situtation, our client has open a VPP account based in the Belgium, but wants to distribute his app internationaly.

The app is available worldwide with vpp distribution:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AMliGkS0iYhEPIqkXMylT8w7aZ83JL0Bc4sB/image.png

But in the vpp account, Apple says the redeemable codes are only available in the Belgian Store:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AMkWnv0KKxxORo0JE1KjTndXTwHOLn5Q2LkB/image.png

As the client doesn't have a MDM, we are a little bit stuck.

Apple is not clear at all about this restriction and @KMT is right:

When Apple says that your VPP customer's users can be in any country where the app is a available, the caveat should apparently be "as long as they are in the same store/country as the VPP customer providing the code".

Is there any simple solution to investigate?

Thank you

Would the Developer Enterprise Program bring a solution here?

Anybody find a solution here? We have a customer in different countries. Would they have to setup a VPP account for each country?

Apple, I guess you realize by now that your VPP program does not work based on the problems described by various members here.

Please don't suggest MDM, it is NOT a solution to simply distribute an app to a worldwide organisation's members.

In the BYOD world, this does not work.

We really need to have a simple way of building an app for a customer with 10000 employees, and then get them to install it based on a link they are sent.

Apps like these have their own internal auth mecahanism, so having someone stuble accross the app does not matter.

Google's playstore does this much better. In fact, they don't try to be over complicated with volume programs.

At Wyzetalk we are also developing a branded version of our app for a Multinational Global Business. But we cannot put the app in the general app store, because Apple rejects it because it would say: "Build for the employees of Company ABC".

But we cannot use the VPP program because we are based in South Africa and a executives and employees with Apple phones in UK, Aus and Argentina cannot get the app. That seems a bit strange isn't it?

There is no way a global company implements MDM, because they don't want to, and cannot afford $2 per device for 10000 employees.

So we are stuck. And out advice to our customers ends up being. Try and get your employees Android phones. They don't have that problem.

With Apple's recent stragey of providing cheaper phones, surely they would have realized that more non-desk workers (what the Wyzetalk apps are for) will be using iPhones. So you will have to make it easier for a business to distribute a personalised app for a company.

If you don't understand the real problem, please contact me so that we can explain the real condundrum you left us in. Your team that designed VPP needs to have the relevant information and understand how the problem affects companies like us.

Also in the same situation here. Anyone found a solution?

What a drag.

+1 here.

My company is in the same situation ending up having problems with so many customers about this issue.
No clue why Apple is trying to push us to use MDM.
MDM is not an option and Apple does not provide a solution.

I am in the same situation. Is Enterprise Account a viable solution here.

If all app users are in the same enterprise then yes. But as a developer, I have to be in their enterprise account. If you are selling to many customers, then for every customer, he has to create his own enterprise program.

Plus, you have to manage distribution (update/manage) by yourself for enterprise solution, which is a lot to do.

Any news on this issue?

We are kind of stuck: distribute the custom B2B app using redemption codes is not possible because of the country restriction. Distribute the app using the public app store is being rejected by Apple because it should be released privately. So now what?

We are trying to distribute an internal app for a multi national company, and the distribution via Business Manager using redemption codes is not possible because of the country restriction.
We then adviced our client to apply for an Enterprise license, but they got rejected for the enterprise program (Reasons unknown).
We have no clue what to do now? The App is ready, but can not be distributed. It is an ugly situation Apple has put us in. Does anybody have an idea for a solutiont to this?