How to open wifi access settings from my app in ios10 using objective C?

Hi All,

I am facing one problem in my app.

That is open wifi access settings from my app.

It is working fine in iOS 9.3.2 and it's not working in iOS10.

is it possible to make it workable in iOS10?

If so How to do that?

Please help me over this to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Suneelkumar Biyyapu.

Replies

There’s no supported way to open Settings to the Wi-Fi ‘page’. The fact that this worked in iOS 9 is a bug that’s been fixed in iOS 10.

For future reference, the Apple URL schemes that are officially documented for third-party use include:

Any Apple URL schemes that are not officially documented should be considered private API.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

This is utterly ridiculous and gives a very bad user experience.

The iOS Product Manager who decided to have this in the version 10 release should be fired.

Hi eskimo,

Using UIApplicationOpenURLOptionsKey, we go to app's settings. Is there any way to go to general settigns?

As far as I know, it is not possible to go to WIFI screen (it is forbidden), but maybe it is possible to go to the root screen inside settings. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot.

Is there any way to go to general settigns?

Not in any supported fashion. As far as I know the options I listed in my first response on this thread are still the only supported options available to you, and none of them lead to the top of Settings.

In my experience most folks who ask about Settings > Wi-Fi are trying to do some sort of hotspot or accessory integration. iOS has specific APIs for those tasks, which you can read about in QA1942 iOS Wi-Fi Management APIs. If you have any follow-up questions about those APIs, you should start a new thread over in Core OS > Networking.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

• Dear @eskimo , Any Update? I also need to add a deep link to "Enable Dictation" (Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Dictation) in my app.

Add a Comment

Hi Eskimo

We want the user the connect to WiFi from our app in Singel App Mode.

The current APIs we use to enable this is NEHotspotHelper. This suites the purpose but in a very user unfriendly way.

• As we cannot list the available network names, the user needs to type the Network name:
    • case sensitive
    • the single quote on the iPad keyboard does is not the one used in the default hotspot name of an iPhone. So an iPad can never connect to "wim's iPhone"
  • The user needs to indicate if it is WEP or not

This is not even close to the usability an apple device aspires.

Question: How can we connect a device to the internet in single app mode from withing our app?

Regards

Wim

• Exactly the same issue as you, any solution after 4 years?

Happy coding

Add a Comment

We want the user the connect to WiFi from our app in Singel App Mode.

It’s probably best you start a new thread for this, as it’s only tangentially related to the original question. If you put it in Core OS > Networking I’ll respond the next time I swing by.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”