Unsigned kexts in B5?

In B4 this worked:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0" to allow unsigned kexts (usb to serial cable)

In B5 I still see "Unsigned kexts are not allowed" in console even after running this command and rebooting.

Any advice?

Accepted Reply

The supported way to disable System Integrity Protection in those cases where it's truly necessary is to boot into the Recovery partition and turn System Integrity Protection off from there with the csrutil tool.

$ csrutil

usage: csrutil <command>

Modify the System Integrity Protection configuration. All configuration changes apply to the entire machine.

Available commands:

disable

Disable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

enable

Enable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

status

Display the current configuration.

The kext-dev-mode and rootless boot-args are being removed from OS X El Capitan and will no longer work.

--gc

Replies

Same problem here, seems to be a bug… both boot args do not seem to have an effect…

kext-dev-mode=1 may still work but rootless=0 doesn't anymore. Instead you need to disable SIP by booting into recovery mode (cmd+R):

Utilities > Security Configuration > uncheck "Enforce System Integrity Protection"

The supported way to disable System Integrity Protection in those cases where it's truly necessary is to boot into the Recovery partition and turn System Integrity Protection off from there with the csrutil tool.

$ csrutil

usage: csrutil <command>

Modify the System Integrity Protection configuration. All configuration changes apply to the entire machine.

Available commands:

disable

Disable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

enable

Enable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

status

Display the current configuration.

The kext-dev-mode and rootless boot-args are being removed from OS X El Capitan and will no longer work.

--gc

Hi,

When trying to launch csrutil from the recovery OS (Cmd + R at boot), I get 'command not found' on beta 6. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, the disalog doesn't seem to be working in Utilities > Security (I get an error after apply).

Thanks.