4.2.3 (iii) - Download Additional Resources

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding 4.2.3 (iii) that was added on 4 June 2018:

4.2 Minimum Functionality

• ( i) Your app should work on its own without requiring installation of another app to function.
  • (ii) Make sure you include sufficient content in the binary for the app to function at launch.
  • (iii) If your app needs to download additional resources, disclose the size of the download and prompt users before doing so. Existing apps must comply with this guideline in any update submitted after January 1, 2019.

Often the game is not playable on launch or past the opening tutorial without downloading additional data. Sometimes the user needs additional data even then.

• Does downloading the lasted configuration file or user data from the server count?
  • Is there a minimum size under which we do not have to prompt the user? (related to the configuration example above)
  • Is this just refferring to downloading app content (addittional app/game data (ex. levels, arts, audio files, etc.) excluding server data) at launch?
  • If the user selects 'No' on prompt, should the user return to the previous screen? Ex. If prompted on launch then app should automatically closes, if prompted after the EULA or Title Screen then the user should return back to that screen.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

yengo

Replies

Following, I am also interested in this.

I have been searching alot to find an answer to this exact question, but not found any useful information.

I'd be interested in the answers to this as well!

Following. Or does anyone know any new app approved by apple after June 4th that require multiple content downloads after

game launch?

I'd also like an answer to this question. It seems that some new games are disclosing the size of the download after the tutorial if it's large (ie. more than a server call) but then other games are prompting the user to download every time they reach a new level. Hard to know which is correct.

Following. Haven't found a solid solution yet.

Do they actually answer these questions, theres not a single answer in any of the other threads I have encounter.