iOS 12 crash in event editor

Hi,

Some of my users are getting a crash in my app on iOS 12 when editing events. Below is the stack trace of the crash and as this is happening in the event editor I have no idea what is causing it.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

/Mark

Crashed: com.apple.main-thread
0  libdispatch.dylib              0x197995724 _dispatch_once_wait$VARIANT$mp + 212
1  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a918c4 _SharedDateFormatter + 156
2  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a91214 CalCalendar + 416
3  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a96ee4 -[TodayInvalidationTimerWrapper _setupTimeZoneTimer] + 172
4  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a96dd8 -[TodayInvalidationTimerWrapper init] + 68
5  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a973a0 ___RegisterForInvalidation_block_invoke + 232
6  libdispatch.dylib              0x1979f4484 _dispatch_client_callout + 16
7  libdispatch.dylib              0x197996710 _dispatch_once_callout + 28
8  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a90f80 _initDateFormatterWithCommaAndYear + 112
9  EventKitUI                     0x1a9a925cc CalStringForDateWithCommaAndYear + 24
10 EventKitUI                     0x1a9a4d70c _StringValuePartsForDateComponents + 592
11 EventKitUI                     0x1a9a50fe4 -[EKEventDateEditItem _resetStartString:endString:] + 300
12 EventKitUI                     0x1a9a503e4 -[EKEventDateEditItem _setStartDate:] + 144
13 EventKitUI                     0x1a9a4dce0 -[EKEventDateEditItem refreshFromCalendarItemAndStore] + 836
14 EventKitUI                     0x1a9ab816c -[EKCalendarItemEditItem setCalendarItem:store:] + 172
15 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b62be4 -[EKEventEditItem setCalendarItem:store:] + 144
16 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b6e840 -[EKCalendarItemEditor _setCalendarItemOnEditItems] + 212
17 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b6e908 -[EKCalendarItemEditor prepareEditItems] + 88
18 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b3b630 -[EKEventEditor prepareEditItems] + 48
19 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b6eb38 -[EKCalendarItemEditor setupForEvent] + 176
20 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b6dbfc -[EKCalendarItemEditor viewDidLoad] + 128
21 UIKitCore                      0x1c4f01e4c -[UIViewController loadViewIfRequired] + 1000
22 UIKitCore                      0x1c4f0227c -[UIViewController view] + 28
23 EventKitUI                     0x1a9b3b5b8 -[EKEventEditor preferredContentSize] + 28
24 UIKitCore                      0x1c4b77618 -[UIPresentationController preferredContentSizeDidChangeForChildContentContainer:] + 68
25 UIKitCore                      0x1c4b7363c __56-[UIPresentationController runTransitionForCurrentState]_block_invoke + 140
26 UIKitCore                      0x1c484b190 _runAfterCACommitDeferredBlocks + 296
27 UIKitCore                      0x1c48391d0 _cleanUpAfterCAFlushAndRunDeferredBlocks + 384
28 UIKitCore                      0x1c4868508 _afterCACommitHandler + 132
29 CoreFoundation                 0x197f49b94 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 32
30 CoreFoundation                 0x197f44828 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 412
31 CoreFoundation                 0x197f44dc8 __CFRunLoopRun + 1264
32 CoreFoundation                 0x197f445b8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 436
33 GraphicsServices               0x19a1b8584 GSEventRunModal + 100
34 UIKitCore                      0x1c483f558 UIApplicationMain + 212
35 CalendarPlus                   0x100de3e38 main (main.m:13)
36 libdyld.dylib                  0x197a04b94 start + 4

Replies

Same here.

But I can not found how to reproduce it yet...

Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't just me.

This issue is not fixed in iOS 12.0.1

i see that exact stack trace when i create a ```EKEventEditViewController``` and give it a EKEvent.

some little info i found so far:

- The crash only happens when i set a start and end date on the `EKEvent` and `isAllDay` to true.

- if `isAllDay` is set to false or if the dates are ommited the app does not crash

But something else must be happening as well since i am not able to reproduce this behaviour with a small demonstration app.

consider me very confused...

[edit]

thanks to kysk i can confirm that setting a timezone different than your device/system timezone will lead to the crashing behaviour.

https://github.com/ktakayama/EventKitUICrash/blob/master/EventKitUICrash/ViewController.swift

I've create a reproduction code here.

(And of cource you can run this project on your machine)

I will post to a bug-reporter for this problem later.

I see the same. Never in simulator but consistently on device. I do not set allDay which means it defaults to 0 (NO).

The crash only appear when start date is set.

I see the same when editing events, i.e. when I give EKEventEditViewController an EKEvent retrieved from the event store.

what is the status of this, could you already report the issue? i would love to follow the issue

cheers

(I post on bugreport.apple.com...)

I've found another case.

[Configuration]

1. Turn on 'Time Zone Override' on Calendar settings.

2. Set the time zone to as you like ( Asia/Japan for example).

[Reproduce example]

1. Create EKEvent object, allDay = true.

2. Open EKEventEditViewController with this event.

3. Crash

[How to resolve]

Turn off 'Time Zone Override'

I found workaround for this issue. If you set event AFTER present a view controller then crash doesn't occure.

let viewController = EKEventEditViewController()
viewController.editViewDelegate = self
viewController.eventStore = store
self.present(viewController, animated: true)

DispatchQueue.main.asyncAfter(deadline: .now() + 0.1) {
    viewController.event = event
}

EDIT:

I noticed that when note is added to EKEvent object then note is not present (and eventualy save) in EKEventEditViewController.

let event: EKEvent = ... // Complete event with dates and note
let vc = EKEventEditViewController()
vc.editViewDelegate = self
vc.eventStore = store

if #available(iOS 12, *) {
 // Event without dates doesn't crash, but add note to vc
 let fakeEvent: EKEvent = ... // Object with the same info as event but without startDate and endDate
 fakeEvent.startDate = nil
 fakeEvent.endDate = nil

vc.event = fakeEvent
 self.present(vc, animated: animated) {
  // When event is change after present then vc is in edit mode
  vc.view.endEditing(true)
 }

DispatchQueue.main.async {
  // Event with date after present vc doeasn't crash, but add date to vc
    vc.event = event
  }
} else {
  vc.event = event
  parentViewController.present(vc, animated: animated)
}

My testing team said they encountered this issue (same stack trace) and I have not been able to reproduce it.

Can someone give the minimum necessary conditions to observe this crash?

I'm on iOS 12, I have ensured my event has allDay set to YES. The startDate is set, then allDay, then an endDate is calculated as 1 day from the startDate and set.

I have tried testing with a time zone override but that does not appear to matter.

Did you override timezone to other then yours? I set Rome (I am in Warsaw) and crash every time.

Yes, I have tried two different time zones, one ahead of me and one behind me

This appears to be fixed for me in iOS 12.1. My app was previously crashing exactly as described by OP. No more, post updating the OS to 12.1.

I've found another way to cause the crash without needing the event to be set to "all day". Setting the timezone to be "UTC" and commenting out `event.isAllDay = true` crashes the test app: https://github.com/ktakayama/EventKitUICrash/blob/master/EventKitUICrash/ViewController.swift

Note my timezone is AEDT so timezones other then UTC might be needed to cause the crash for people in other timezones.

Here is the repo code:

// You should set different timezone from your system timezone.
    NSTimeZone.default = NSTimeZone(abbreviation: "UTC") as TimeZone!

let store = EKEventStore()
    store.requestAccess(to: .event) { _, _ in
      let event = EKEvent(eventStore: store)

event.startDate = Date() //calendar.date(from: components)
      event.endDate = Date() 

event.timeZone = NSTimeZone.default
      //event.isAllDay = true
      let viewController = EKEventEditViewController()
      viewController.editViewDelegate = self
      viewController.eventStore = store
      viewController.event = event

self.present(viewController, animated: true, completion: nil)

It seems I spoke too soon. Still crashing for me in 12.1.1.

One more detail: the crash only occurs in a release build. When running from the debugger in Xcode, everything works as expected.