Playground Freezing when writing code iMac Pro

Hey,

I am teaching myself to code and finding small issues where my code will stutter when typing and using xcode playgrounds. I have had no issues with making a xcode project but seem to get a issue when wrting code in playgrounds.

Is this normal is there something in the settings i need to change to stop this happing?

My imac pro settings are -

8 core 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

1tb ssd

Thanks for any help

Luke

Accepted Reply

One thing you could try is to select manual run for playground.

Long press on the right pointing triangle at the bottom and select manual

Replies

One thing you could try is to select manual run for playground.

Long press on the right pointing triangle at the bottom and select manual

Hey, Yes this has worked and stops the freezing issue only problem with this process is some code will not run unless on the automatic run.

Will just have to keep swapping them as i go.

Thanks for the help!

I also experience frequent freeze of playground, forcing to restart XCode.

This was the "worse after all" solution ! But playground is so convenient to test some code !

Don't forget to close the thread and good luck.

I am running into this problem as well, except that my entire Mac environment is freezing. Manual Run is checked (and is apparently the new default for this version). After a few minutes, the mouse pointer comes back alive, but nothing else does. I have to do a hard reboot of my MacBook Pro.

I'm running Xcode 10.0, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, on a MacBook Pro (2010 with SSD and 8GB of RAM).

8 GB of RAM. May be it is too small.

I'm having to think seriously about upgrading my MacBook Pro mid-2010 as Xcode is very slow and playground is not working at all. Running HighSierra 10.13.6 with Xcode 10.1 with 4Gb RAM.

What would you advise as a reasonable configuration for a new development machine?

Appreciate any guidance as it will be a big investment that I need to get right.

Probably the critical point is the RAM. 4Gb is way too little. Typically, XCode should need 16 Gb by now.

My MBPro config is OK to use XCode, even on large code:

- 16 GB

- 500 GB storage (more would be better)

- 15.4" screen (I occasionally use an external monitor for larger space ; if you have an external monitor, 13" could be acceptable)

- I find that an external mouse and keyboard add some comfort, but not mandatory.

Note: on the forum, it is better to start a new thread for a new question, instead of appending to an existing and closed thread.

Thank you. Will start a new topic as advised, next time.