TvOS: An error was encountered while attempting to communicate with this device

Hi

When I pair Apple TV 4K with XCode 9.2 beta, I enter the verification code and I get this error:

"An error was encountered while attempting to communicate with this device (the value is missing.)"

Any idea how to fix this? I've tried 2 different Macs, same problem.

Replies

Can you please take a sysdiagnose from both your Mac and Apple TV, file a bug report at bugreport.apple.com and let me know the number?

I have the exact same issue. I've opened a bug (number 35299839). The sysdiagnose files are in progress of being uploaded as we speak.

An issue has been identified with wirelessly pairing devices after updating to tvOS 11.2 beta. Apple TV (4th generation) developers should use USB for devleopment and testing with tvOS 11.2 beta, and Apple TV 4K developers should use the simulator for testing and development at this time until an update is available to address the issue.

Yes, it was. But at first I tried with the stable version of Xcode and it already showed 2 devices (one paired not connected and one not paired). I think I may have tried to pair again here which obviously failed. Then I downloaded the beta version of Xcode. Again two devices... same as before. Then I removed the paired device on my Mac & Apple TV and tried to pair again which lead to the described error.

Has there been any update to this? I am having the same error "An error was encountered while attempting to communicate withi this device. (The value is missing.)

Xcode 9.2 beta 2 is now available for download, which contains a fix for this issue.

Please download and launch Xcode 9.2. beta 2, and you should see an "Installing Components" window appear during first launch, which will install a fix for the wireless pairing issue.

Afterwards, you should be able to pair and use your Apple TV running tvOS 11.2 beta 1 and 2 normally for wireless development. Note that upgrading your Apple TV from a previous tvOS 11 version to tvOS 11.2 will force a re-pair for wireless develoment.

I'm still seeing that error in Xcode 9.2 beta 2 when trying to pair with an Apple TV 4K running tvOS 11.2 beta 4.

Edit: Got it working. I had to run Xcode from the downloads folder instead of from the Applications folder to get the "Installing Components" window to appear.

Where do I get the xcode 9.2 Beta 2 Version. I have exactly the same problem with 3 Apple TV 4k 32 gb.

I only find the normal 9.2 Version released from 04.Dez.2017 is this the Beta 2 Version ?

I am seeing this error with XCode 10.1 & tvOS 12.1.

Specifically:

An error was encountered while enabling development on this device.

Please try rebooting and reconnecting the device. (0xE8000076)

Should it be fixed now? how can I resolve?

You are probably not using the latest version of Xcode.

I also got this cryptic error.

Installing the latest version of Xcode fixed it.

I'm not able to run on iPhone 6s.it shows the error Development cannot be enabled while your device is locked.
Please unlock your device and reattach. (0xE80000E2).
The error is not fixed in Xcode 11.3.1. on Mojave Trying to do with both Apple tv 4 and 5 gen with tvOS 13.4.6
"Device Support" folder properly added. Devices are paired but are not made ready for development.
yesterday I even waited 5 long hours to check if this is time-related issue but it's not.