Xcode 10.1 did not fix the iOS 9 asset catalogs crash problem

The release note declare resolving the issue that iOS 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 crash:

Resolves an issue that affected app compatibility with iOS 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2. Apps containing asset catalogs built with Xcode 10 whose deployment target was set to iOS 9.0, 9.1 or 9.2 would produce content incompatible with the runtimes of those iOS versions. Rebuilding the application with Xcode 10.1 resolves this issue.

I used thre newest Xcode10.1 realease version to rebuild th application and uploaded to TestFlight, but after downloading from TestFlight, our app still crashed in the same way.

Did apple really resolve that issue?

Replies

Looks like we also have the same problem, still.

I have removed all the assets (except app icons) from asset catalogs and re-imported them into the project "old school" style.

It's not crashing any more for me. Hope this helps!

Meeting the same problem using Xcode 10.1

I have the same problem.

> I have removed all the assets (except app icons) from asset catalogs and re-imported them into the project "old school" style.

Could you tell me how to 're-imported them into the project "old school" style' ?

I tryed it but no differences appear in `git diff` of my project.

Meeting the same problem using Xcode 10.1

It doesn't crash if the app is installed directly using xcode, but it crashes when it's intalled via testflight.

And even testflight on iOS 9.2 crashes.

I will crash in xcode10 packaged in iOS9.0-9.3, and finally use xcode9.4.1 to develop and go online. If the testflight release test crashes, it is recommended to return to version 9.4.1. We will not upgrade to xcode10+ for the time being, and will stabilize after a few months.

Moving all asset icons to project folder can resolve this issue, but that may cause some icon was scaled in strange way because of the 2x/3x suffix, you should check every icon rendered well.

It's really weird that apple declared the crash has been resolved.

Our apps support some iOS12 features such as Siri Shortcuts, so we have to use xcode10+.

I had done the following steps:

1. Copied .xcassets folder to my desktop.
  2. Created another "Assets" folder.
  3. Moved all the files from various .xcassets subfolders to the root of my new "Assets" folder, except app icons and Contents.json files.
  4. Deleted the files from step 3 from .xcassets in Xcode so that git diff would show them as deleted files.
  5. Added new "Assets" folder to the project. Now git diff shows those files as renamed, and Content.json files as deleted (that's what we want obviously).
  6. Commit/push and create a release build.
  7. Profit 🙂

Absolutely, one should be careful to have 2x/3x suffixes when utilizing the 'old school' approach, which are not mandatory in asset catalogs.

I'm seeing the same problem. App rebuilt using XCode 10.1 crashing on every device running iOS < 9.3.

I have tried archiving using XCode 10.1 while using ``actool`` from XCode 9.4.1 to see if it produces correct Assets.car.

Veryfying the archives before uploading, actool from XCode 9.4.1 indeed produced Assets.car that is binary different from actool shipped with XCode 10.1.

If there is anybody who can test my testflight build on device running iOS < 9.3.5, please let me know, I do not have any old devices to verify whether using actool from XCode 9.4.1 actually helps.

thanks,

Martin

I have the same problem.

Thanks for your response ! It works for me.

I have the same problem.

Invite me to to your TestFlight App group. I have a iOS 9.2 device which want to test this issue. Hopefully this can work.

mail: lizhuoli@bytedance.com