Copy and Paste Problems

Is it just me or is copy and paste horribly broken in Xcode 9?

About 25% of the time I copy or cut some text in the main editor, when I go to paste, the clipboard's just empty.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing things correctly because, well, it's cut and paste... I've been cutting and pasting in Xcode since Project Builder 1.0.

This has been going on for a few months now and while I'm pulling out what little hair I have left over the issue I'm not reading much about the problem elsewhere.

I filed a bug report about it a few weeks back but haven't heard anything back.

Anyone else encountering this?

Replies

+1. I thought I was going crazy with my typing and even thought perhaps my keyboard had an issue or that i was some how hitting some weird comand sequence.

I did a copy then save and saw the highlighting in the menu bar for Edit then File. But then I got a beep on the paste with no paste and finally did a search and found this.

I did as you mentioned and now it seems to have resolved the issue.

Nice sleuthing!

I am using Xcode Version 10.0 (10A255), for many days I thought my keyboard is not working properly. Todays I struggling a lot, I faced serious copy-paste issues. I used to replace code by pasting over and due to this Xcode issue, I lost my precious business logic.😢
I would like to say two words to Apple Developer Team, I don't know about you guys but for each developer, "COPY" & "PASTE" are the relics in this programming world, and you guys not even care about it.

I am using Xcode for the last 8 years and from my experiences, the Xcode 4 & 5 were the best. After that, all your improvements won't be helping and adding mess to this beautiful world.

God save us!

Look above, smartcatPI found what looks like the cause. The simulator. It seems that disabling syncing of the pasteboard fixes this.

I should not that this also seems to also affect things outside of Xcode too. I've noticed that my cut and paste is general has had misses.

I also filed another bug report on this.

It might possible that this issue can be related to the connection with the device (iPhone, iPad) to the MacBook or iMac.

I used to connect my iPhone with Macbook and using services like (call, text, notes etc) in both, so it's checking the status of the device each time, today I saw the message on iPhone like "Pasting from Macbook". Maybe the issue occurs in this scenario.

Hope this will helps to developer guys to resolve it sooner and provide us with a stable & reliable tool.

Just submitted a bug report for this as well. It took me so long to even conceive there could be a bug here cuz I kept thinking to myself surely it must be me, its 2018 there couldn't possibly be a copy/cut/paste bug. Mad kudos to smartcatPI for taking the time to troubleshoot this, you've saved me so much future aggravation. Should also add that re-enabling the "Automatically Sync Pasteboard" feature seems to be safe, its not been long since I toggled it off/on but so far so good.

Update: The bug just reappeared with the same behavior. Thankfully turning off "Automatically Sync Pasteboard" still works to resolve.

still facing same issue Annoying 😕

How to turn it off plz
thanks in advance 🙂

Xcode 10.1 / macOS 10.14.1

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Serial Number C02X37M8JGH6

Most of the time I have to copy twice to get the data into the clipboard. The most anoying part is when you cut and then it doesn't paste...

I deleted all my simulators and istalled them again. I have had no issues anymore

Finally, I'm not alone in this problem. I thought it was either my keyboard or MacOS changes.

Thanks guys.

Some devs say it has something to do with "Automatically Sync Pasteboard" feature of iPhone Simulator.

You can find it under "Edit" menu. I turned it off and now watching for it to take effect.
Maybe it will help to solve this annoying problem.

This has helped with my situation. Thank you!

I solved this problem in the following way:

Choose Simulator -> Edit -> Uncheck Automatically Sync Pasteboard,

hope to help you!

Wow! Great finding, it drove me crazy too ...