Audio renderer fails to render CMSampleBuffer

I am trying to render audio using AVSampleBufferAudioRenderer but there is no sound coming from my speakers and there is a repeated log message.

[AQ] 405: SSP::Render: CopySlice returned 1

I am creating a CMSampleBuffer from an AudioBufferList. This is the relevant code:

var sampleBuffer: CMSampleBuffer!
try runDarwin(CMSampleBufferCreate(allocator: kCFAllocatorDefault,
                                   dataBuffer: nil,
                                   dataReady: false,
                                   makeDataReadyCallback: nil,
                                   refcon: nil,
                                   formatDescription: formatDescription,
                                   sampleCount: sampleCount,
                                   sampleTimingEntryCount: 1,
                                   sampleTimingArray: &timingInfo,
                                   sampleSizeEntryCount: sampleSizeEntryCount,
                                   sampleSizeArray: sampleSizeArray,
                                   sampleBufferOut: &sampleBuffer))

try runDarwin(CMSampleBufferSetDataBufferFromAudioBufferList(sampleBuffer,
                                                             blockBufferAllocator: kCFAllocatorDefault,
                                                             blockBufferMemoryAllocator: kCFAllocatorDefault,
                                                             flags: 0,
                                                             bufferList: audioBufferList.unsafePointer))
try runDarwin(CMSampleBufferSetDataReady(sampleBuffer))

I am pretty confident that my audio format description is correct because CMSampleBufferSetDataBufferFromAudioBufferList, which performs a laundry list of validations, returns no error.

I tried to reverse-engineer the CopySlice function, but I’m lost without the parameter names.

int ScheduledSlicePlayer::CopySlice(
   long long,
   ScheduledSlicePlayer::XScheduledAudioSlice*,
   int,
   AudioBufferList&,
   int,
   int,
   bool
)

Does anyone have any ideas on what’s wrong? For the Apple engineers reading this, can you tell me the parameter names of the CopySlice function so that I can more easily reverse-engineer the function to see what the problem is?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of fumoboy007 Down vote post of fumoboy007
2.6k views

Replies

If your app does not stop on the message `[AQ] 405: SSP::Render: CopySlice returned 1`, it may be just a debug message inside framework and you should better ignore it and find other reasons why no sound coming.

I recommend you first to check if you really made your `audioBufferList` properly. Can you show how you made it?

I have created a sample project that exhibits the problem. The audio plays if isInterleaved == true || channelCount == 1, but it doesn’t play otherwise. Thanks for helping!

---

I am pretty much at a dead end with reverse engineering. For posterity’s sake, here is what I found when isInterleaved == false && channelCount == 2:

• ScheduledSlicePlayer::CopySlice(long long, ScheduledSlicePlayer::XScheduledAudioSlice* arg1, int, AudioBufferList& arg3, int, int, bool)
    • Copies data from the AudioBufferList pointed to by arg3 into the AudioBufferList nested in arg1.
    • Fails because the audio buffer count of the source AudioBufferList (2) is not equal to the audio buffer count of the destination AudioBufferList (1).
  • AudioQueueObject::ConvertOutput(AudioQueueObject::ConverterConnection*, AQBufferCommand* arg1, int, bool)

It initializes the destination AudioBufferList with 1 AudioBuffer when `*(int32_t *)(arg1+0x8) == 1`. arg1+0x8 is likely an enum; its type is AQCommand::ECommand.

• AQBufferCommand::AQBufferCommand(AQCommand::ECommand arg0, AQBuffer*, unsigned int, AudioStreamPacketDescription const*, XAudioTimeStamp const&)

Sets *(int32_t *)(this+0x8) = arg0.

• AudioQueueObject::EnqueueBuffer(AudioQueueBuffer*, unsigned int, AudioStreamPacketDescription const&, int, int, unsigned int, AudioQueueParameterEvent*, XAudioTimeStamp const&, XAudioTimeStamp *)

Calls AQBufferCommand::AQBufferCommand with arg0 = 1.

• I believe that interleaving is the key. I see the same symptoms on planar formats, but interleaved formats work, even for 2 channel audio. I expect this is an undocumented requirement (and an Apple bug). Tested on iOS 16.1.

Add a Comment

For any Apple engineers who are reading this, I’ve filed this bug as rdar://45068930.

(Moving to a reply rather than a comment to be more easily found.)

I believe that interleaving is the key. I see the same symptoms on planar formats, but interleaved formats work, even for 2 channel audio. I expect this is an undocumented requirement (and an Apple bug). Tested on iOS 16.1.