iOS 12 passwords

It appears that enabling secure text entry on a UITextField means that input in that field will show the new Passwords accessory bar, regardless of the fields textContentType.

Is there any way to disable this? I have an app which asks for a random letter in a password (not the full password), and in this circumstance the 'remembered' password will be incorrect...

Is there a general way to stop the Password prompt when a textfield uses secure text entry?

Thanks.

Accepted Reply

Turns out setting the texContentType to .oneTimePassword will prevent the autofill suggestions and iCloud keychain from showing up.

Replies

I have a different use case for not wanting autofill suggestions.

I tried setting secure text entry to false, just to see if it would stop trying to autofill the field and understand how the system decides to provide suggestions or not. That didn't prevent the suggestions from coming up for me - it reliably disabled autofill for you?

It did - are you setting the textContentType to something other than password?

Yes, such as "nickname" - this used to work in iOS 11 to prevent autofill but doesn't seem to be working in the iOS 12 betas.

Turns out setting the texContentType to .oneTimePassword will prevent the autofill suggestions and iCloud keychain from showing up.

Nice find, thanks for updating.

In my initial testing, it looks like this issue has been resolved in iOS 12.1

Still a problem - on Mac Catalina... the input accessory view doesn't want to go away...