macOS high sierra display flickering

Hey guys,

i have the 2016 MacBook Pro and sort of running MacOS High Sierra.

The problem is that for my work i need a second monitor which i'm not able to use.

Because when i connect the second monitor to my macbook i starts lagging about every 5 seconds and the 2nd monitor turns blue for a split second, which makes it impossible to work with it.

The 2nd monitor is connected through a docking station but it was working on MacOs Sierra just fine so that can't be the issue...

I hope someone has an idea what the problem could be.

• I solved the monitor flicker when connecting may Mac Pro mid 2010 and High Sierra by installing:

DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for OS X and macOS El Capitan 10.11, High Sierra 10.13, Sierra 10.12 Release: 4.1 | Dec 21, 2017 https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos

It's free and it seem to work for my DELL SP2309W Display. I changed the setting on my display to 1080i and get 2048 x 1152 resolution

Add a Comment

Replies

Nope, I regress my victory. Re-connected the adapter (while the Mac was still off) and the flickering returned when I fired it up.

Same problem here my imac late 2013 and macbook pro mid 2015. Its very annoying when i am working photoshop and watching movies etc. When i am connect tv with hdmi tv screen turn warmer color and netflix stop playing after 5min. Because of flickering.

i have 2015 IMAC 27 RETINA, my MAIn screen does this flicker also, like 2 times an hour also, i though my MAC was dying but it started doing that after MAC OS update for sure. has to be related some how

I have the exact same issue with my brand new iMac Pro with a 4K monitor. It freeze (on both monitor) every 5 sec. For a short time, not long but enough to be annoying. I was going to replace the monitor since i don't have this issue on a older monitor i tested. Then i noticed this post.

Did more investigation :

- tested on a macbookpro TB 2016 with 10.13.5 last besta -> same issue

- on a older mac with sierra : no pb

seems to be a software issue

Anyone found a solution ?

I have the same problem, my apple cinema display keeps flickering. It turns out that High Sierra sets color depth by default to 32 bit.

My display cannot handle this, so it keeps changing colors, which results in flickering.

Unfortunately apple removed the control panal item, where the color depth was set. You can now only use 3rd party, paid software to set the color depth (in my case to 24 bit). This is very annoying. If there would be terminal command to set the displays, it would help. But I did not find it on the internet. Maybe some one has an idea

I had this same issue. My workaround was a Time Machine restoration.

Report it Here: macOS Feedback