mediaserverd trying to connect to nonexistent IP

While running an Xcode Instruments Network trace on my iPhone 6s (iOS 11.4.1) I saw mediaserverd connecting to 192.168.1.165:7000, a non-existent IP on my LAN. What's going on, and what service is it trying to connect to on port 7000?

Here's a link to the image:

h ttps://imgur.com/a/wBfx4Kq

Replies

Could not find clear information on port 7000 (it is not a registered port).

Found this on uses of this port, if that may help:

h ttps://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=7000

Nota: you should probably move this thread to Networking to get better answers.

Yes, I already did the requisite Googling before posting and saw that page...port 7000 is mostly used by malware, it seems, which makes this ghost connection even more crazy. Why is an Apple binary connecting to non-existent IPs on a suspicious port?

Could not find clear information on port 7000 (it is not a registered port).

Ah, um, port 7000 is registered with IANA to

afs3-fileserver

However, I very much doubt that’s what

mediaserverd
is doing. My best guess on that front is that there’s an authoring problem in some media asset that’s causing this bogus connection. However, media playback is sufficiently outside of my area of expertise that I don’t have any suggestions for how to investigate that further.

Ultimately this is not an API-level question, so my advice here is the same as the advice I’d give in other examples of weird system behaviour:

• If you believe this is a bug in the system, you can file a bug report about that.

• If you believe it’s a problem specific to your device, you can pursue it via the usual support channels (Apple Support Communities, Apple Support, and so on).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Yes, I did file a bug report.

Thanks! What was the bug number?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"