26 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 6, 2019 8:38 AM by Macho Man Randy Savage
      melmalinowski Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm using XCode 8.2.1 on a MacBook Pro using the most recent macOS.

I just finished rewriting one of my early iOS apps in Swift to get it back on the store. It would be useful to some if it were available to run on laptops, so I thought it might be not too difficult to port it over to macOS.

Right now, for some reason the zoom controls are not present or working for the storyboard, so you cannot back out and see a complex storyboard clearly. It makes it so awkward and slow work that I have suspended developing this app for macOS until this is fixed.

This is such a major bug (which has been already reported by numerous developers, there is a whole discussion outside about this) that I would think it would get fixed pronto. But this doesn't seem to be happening.

Is this just me, am I doing something wrong, is it MacBook Pro specific, or is there a workaround?

• Re: Storyboard won't zoom when editing macOS app
          Macho Man Randy Savage Level 3 Level 3 (375 points)

You are not alone. Lots of posts around here mention this issue. I just discovered this myself when writing my first mac app with a storyboard. My bug got closed as a duplicate.

I only used storyboard in one app but on Mac I still prefer to not use Stroryboards at this point. IMHO, the greatest advantage of working with a storyboard (for a Mac app) is the zoom feature, which currently doesn't exist.

I always thought they should also have included the "zoom" feature in a regular nib (for both iOS and Mac) but they never did.

My guess would be that there were bugs and they didn't have time to fix it, so they just disabled it so they can work on some API changes, or so they could take  a walk in the Park.

Anyone tried the latest BETA can confirm if this is fixed?

Kind of amazing that they don't fix such a fundamental and well known bug for this long. If I had a major bug that obvious in an app submitted to iTunes Connect, it would get rejected.

I'm staying away from the macOS platform until this is fixed, as I like storyboards and use them in all my iOS apps.

It would do us all good if someone got put in charge of unity and consistency between the macOS and iOS systems and tools.

svjim Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This seems to be a bit ridiculous that storyboards for mac os apps have disappeared without any apparent reason.  It would be nice if someone from Apple would provide an explaination for this. I mean we are only talking about zooming in and out of a graphic layout that worked previously.  Is Apple throwing storyboards under the bus for mac applications. Come on Apple how about an answer???

impete Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've just raised a bug against this (33217575)

I can but encourage other macOS Developers to do the same.

This has been frustrating me for a long time now...

Pete

You are absolutely correct. More OSX developers need to complain about this with a bug report. I did so some time ago. I was hoping for at least an explainiation on why this capability was removed. No luck so far on that. If you have this issue, write a bug report. It should only take a few minutes and your really only need a few words to describe the problem.

michaela_ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i've accessed on Zoom in System Preferences > Accessibility

so its ON when i'm using Xcode

Check : Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom:  ^Control

Holding down the control key and using two fingers scroll gesture on track pad zooms in and out and will stay at that magnification when letting go of control key.

Other features in Zoom may also be helpful, like checking 'Zoom follows the keyboard focus', and assigning your own keyboard toggle key to easily turn off the feature when not in Xcode, or use it in other software.

Introspector Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is serious pain - especially when working on 4k/5k displays.

Givent the time frame since I reported this bug the first time, I am compelled to believe that this bug is not a bug but a feature which is too difficult for Apple to implement and would probably take a complete re-write of Xcode. Otherwise, they would have fixed it.

Anyway, I have filed yet another bug #35831433 and I suggest all you reading this do the same. Perhaps file it as a suggestion rather than bug !

The idea of designing your entire app's interface in one place (the storyboard) seems like a nightmare without the zoom feature. Unless you have an app with only one or two windows.

As things stand now, the arguments for using a storyboard for macOS are unconvincing.  At least they brought back the checkbox in Xcode 9 so we can easily create new projects without a storyboard.

10 months ago I posted the original question.

I stayed away from MacOS development for that reason. I presumed this would be fixed soon. Nope.

It is just amazing to me that a company with Apple's resources would include storyboard in MacOS/XCode with such a serious shortcoming. It makes using storyboard very difficult, virtually useless.

I have noticed some impact of the more advanced iOS ideas penetrating into the MacOS world at last. Perhaps we'll see some progress on storyboard in 2018. Or not.

If this ever gets fixed, I'd appreciate someone posting that here.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,835 points)

>iOS ideas penetrating into the MacOS world at last.

Did you hear the one about how devs may be able to make one app that works on both? Maybe that's why macOS tools are seemingly out of the loop...

>Did you hear the one about how devs may be able to make one app that works on both? Maybe that's why macOS tools are seemingly out of the loop..

There are things in UIKit that are obviously better than Appkit, but this news kind of scares me.

Storyboards came to the Mac following iOS' lead, to make development more "iOS-ish" but it never felt right for many devs. And they let this zoom bug linger for way way too long. Despite the zoom bug, they even tried to force storyboard down our throats in an Xcode release by removing the ability to uncheck "Use Storyboard" for a new macOS project (at least this decision was reversed in Xcode 9).

I always feel uneasy when they make *any* changes to macOS SDK. Not because the idea of the change is bad or not warranted but because they don't always seem to finish the job. Obviously this is not because they can't, but for whatever reasons they often don't. Storyboards without zooming is clearly an unfinished feature, NSCell deprecations with no proper view-based replacement API are still left all over the place (it's been 3 years).

So my worry is a universal UI framework comes out. And a bug like this one is here, and over there, and maybe we'll get a fix for it next year, or the year after, or maybe we won't.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,835 points)

>but because they don't always seem to finish the job.

Copy that. My guess is that it's a mix of turnover and upward job mobility...come in, recommend changes, get promoted, move up/out/on, changes hang on the line, waiting for luv, dressed up but no where to go. Next wonk says, "Not my ideas so, instead of fixing to finish and taking it to the prom, I'll recommend changes in my own style so I can strut my own stuf", wash/rinse/repeat.

Maybe they've decided it's a numbers game, and since they can't seem to grow the mac dev community, they'll hybridize and rebrand iOS devs. They tried making the two programs into a 2-fer for the same fee and signup, now maybe they're making it into an actual all-in-one.

Maybe they can't find anyone willing to take the job as closer and do clean up.

This the thing though, overall, Mac development isn't any harder than iOS development. In some ways it is actually easier. You make your windows the shape you want them. You can enforce an aspect ratio of your own choosing for resizable windows. If you already know how to make an iOS app, it doesn't take that much effort to learn how to make a Mac app.

Luring iOS devs to the Mac was the reason for bringing Storyboards to the Mac, and here we are in this thread. Luring developers to the Mac should be easy for Apple; make it easier for developers to succeed on the platform. Mac apps are obviously so much more powerful and useful than iOS apps overall. Showcase more than the same 15-20 apps over and over again. Devs will follow the money.

Devs don't come because they don't think there is any money in Mac apps. Simple as that.

If I have more revenue from my Mac apps outside the Mac App Store than I do inside it (and I do) than it feels like a shelf space thing, not that my app isn't any good.

I read a blogger the other day say the Mac App Store is a ghost town with outdated apps, maybe this UI framework will solve that. I doubt it though.

The thing is that zoom for mac story boards apps worked and it was removed. None of this makes any sense and the silence of Apple on this is sending some sort of message, but **** if I can figure out what it is. I don't buy any technical reasons for zoom having been removed. Mac developent on Xcode must just not be a priority to apple.

FWIIW still nothing in Xcode 10 beta - at least as far as I can see.

Steve@MartianTribe Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just piling on here but almost two years later and Apple still hasn't addressed this.

rocketmedic Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've submitted a ticket as well (49992845). This is extremely frustrating when you have many view controllers involved and just want to be able to move around your storyboard quickly. It's already been said, but hopefully this gets fixed.