Anybody got ARKit 2 object tracking working at all?

This is really frustrating to me.

No matter what I do, I can't get anything I scan with the ARKit Scanner app to actually be recognized at all. The app itself does a poor job of recognizing the objects it scans: I've tried with a white-with-black letters mug, a blue-with-white-letters bottle, a Cardboard 1.0 viewer, a green-piggies mug, and while the scanner tells me the objects were succesfully scanned, when testing, it *sometimes* works at the first try, then never again. The most frustrating thing about it is, I don't even *move* the scanned object... and it still does *not* recognize it on the test.

Do we have some sort of bug in the iOS 12 Beta that is disallowing 3D object detection and tracking to work properly? Or is it just me? Anybody here lucky enough to have it working? Any ideas?

Replies

Hi Heribero,

I got it working but it is very diffcult and the defining bounding box is very tricky as it continously moves even after you do a proper preperation to scan.

My problem is with Export. I cannot see the arobject in files app at all. I see only a file with .arobject extension. I thought it will atuomatically export into .usdz format. Anyone got this part to work, viewing your scanned object from the files app with the new quick look feature?

It does work for me so far. But as you wrote sometimes it works better and sometimes worse.

I made the experience, that the light is really important.

But i had for example the issue, that also nearly simular objects were detected as a certain object.

You really need a cloud with many many reference points to get it work well.

This is just my experience, but keep on trying.

Best regards.

I have been having a ton of trouble with the scanner as well... The bounding box just does not stay anchored to the object and drifts all over the place. Has anyone just tried scanning say the front plane, hit cancel, then left, right, etc.. and merge them all together?