Teaching app development with Swift

Are you planning to use the new App Development with Swift course and Teacher Guide in your teaching? Use this thread to share feedback and ask questions about these materials. #swiftedu

Replies

There's a Teacher Guide as well as a student book for this material, and there's a link in the Teacher Guide to answer keys and Keynote presentations.

I have the same problem. I tried changing the code by substituting Double.pi / 4 for M_PI_4 and the errors go away, but it still doesn't run in Assistant Editor.

i have the same problem. Someone has a solution?

Guys you have informed me about many things here. I was looking for teaching and found Engrade Pro

This app is really helpful for teacher and student but some of features I don't understand is anyone used this IOS App?

Thanks, drgrant! I learned many things with your help. Among them:

1. Where to find, review, validate, and improve the playground code
  2. Never put blind trust in a teacher.

Thanks for helping me get past chapter 12!

I'm looking into adopting the 'App development with Swift' curriculum for two university-college courses. Each course will have 60 instructor-led classroom hours (over 12 weeks), and we ask that our students budget another 40 hours for homework/studies. So ideally the Apple curriculum would be suitable for about 200 hours of course time. Does anyone have any experience they can share? Is there too much / not enough content for the time available?

There are so many bugs in this exercise they have to have been put there on purpose! It's a joke (but I've learned a lot)

Thanks,

Apple.developer.com

to give me a chance to develop apps for Apple.

Hello Tushar.

You can read about the developer programs at https://developer.apple.com/programs/

or you can go ahead and enroll at https://developer.apple.com/programs/enroll/

Hope that helps.

Ann Arbor Public Schools just approved a new high school course for 2018-19 called Mobile App Development, which will be based on your App Development with Swift curriculum. This will be our third CS course; we also offer AP Computer Science Principles and AP Computer Science A.

Do teachers and students need to sign up as Apple Developers? Is there a charge to do so? When I was working with the tools last summer, I noticed that my apps stopped working after a few days unless I downloaded them again.

Are there online practice sites available or under development for Swift programming, like the many sites for Java, Python, etc.?

Hello -brian-

Hey can you suggest me how to earn points in apple.devdeloper.com

Yes the sign needs to be < and not >

Thanks to everyone. I was so frustrated, because I thought I didn't get something. Was rereading the chapter over and over and gave up. Came back several weeks later, made a google search and learned that it wasn't my mistake. <3. Will definitely participate in this forum. Good luck everyone!

What are the pros and cons with starting with Intro to App Development with Swift vs AppDevelopment with Swift? Does anyone use both? Any advice?

Are there any tricks to using it? For e.g. since I'm going to deliver this for a Summer Camp (Intro to App. Development) I'm going to start with making the App (1. Photo App 2. QuestionBot) then do the tutorials based on where they have questions. That way at the end they can see why they are doing all those drills. Any thoughts?

Just created an account and wanted to drop a thanks to you. Followed your steps and fixed this for me (still an issue in August 2018). I wouldn't know where to begin with this as I'm pretty new to developing directly. The first 8 or so Playgrounds seemed to be clearer written and no mistakes. These later ones are a lot more in depth, which I suppose they need to be, but seem to have omitted words and errors littering them. Could've been very frustrating if not for your words, so much appreciated.