Xcode 8 macOS Mojave

Hi,

I decided to migrate my old iOS app from swift 2 to 3 and use xcode 9/10 to migrate 3 to 4 but I can’t seem to get Xcode 8.2.1 running on macOS Mojave. It crashes on launch. Any help?

Thanks!

Replies

Seems you are not the only one.

h ttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/50725674/not-able-to-open-xcode-8-3-2-on-macos-10-14-beta

Can't you upgrade to XCode 9 ?

Did you file a bug report ?

I want to migrate my old Swift 2 project to swift 3 using xcode 8.2.1

Find an old mac which runs older macOS (10.12 or 10.13 for Xcode 8?), currently selling mac comes with 10.13, so it may not be difficult.

By the way, Mojave is still in beta, have you updated all your macs to beta version of macOS and do not have any macs with released version of macOS?

I have an iMac running 10.13. Xcode 8 works on High Sierra right?

You can migrate with XCode9:

- open XCode 9

- Open your app

- modify code as needed

- Set Swift version to 3 in build settings

Then, if you open the modified version in XCode10, you can convert to Swift4.

> Xcode 8 works on High Sierra right?

Note that among many other details, the Xcode Wiki details minimum macOS & Swift support for each version.

Just remember that simply because an Xcode might run in a given environment doesn't mean the dev can avail themselves of every possible feature - example is Metal.

Finally, don't forget that mojave is still a beta, so be sure to cross reference your question in themacOS 10.14 beta forum. I'd not be in a big hurry to migrate a project just yet, if that's your main goal. You can submit apps to the store w/beta tools, but if you're just testing to get an idea of what you may face when the latest Xcode and macOS go public, then by all means go for it...best to work on a copy of that project and/or confirm a tested and reliable backup is your friend.

Good luck.

Yeah but if I migrate in Xcode 8 it will fix some of the issues while migrating, but if I set it to Swift 3 in Xcode 9 it will not do any automatic code changes therefore give me more errors. Anyway thanks for your help!

So, if you want XCode 8, did you try to upgrade first to 8.3 ?

https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/Developer_Tools/Xcode_8.3.3/Xcode8.3.3.xip

or another one :

h ttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/10335747/how-to-download-xcode-dmg-or-xip-file

Xcode 8.3 doesn’t include Swift 2...

It does not include Swift 2 compiler, but it does include Swift 2 to 3 migrator.

I have an iMac running 10.13. Xcode 8 works on High Sierra right?

Yes. I sometimes use Xcode 8.3.3 on my oo...old MacBook running High Sierra.

I do not submit my apps with Xcode 8, but at least, Swift migrator runs. (I wanted to write 'as expected', but some cases it outputs stupid result...)

Really? I didn’t know that, thanks for the info! I will try it.

You'd better know one thing.

Swift 2 to 3 migrator works better on Swift 2 code best fit for Swift 2.

For example, old Swift 2.2 compiler suggests you to use `#selector` than using Selector("..."). If your Swift 2 code is already fit for such suggestions, Swift 2 to 3 migrator generates better result. If you can run Xcode 7.3.1 or 8.2.1, you should better refine your code as best fit for Swift 2.

I migrated some Swift2 code to Swift3 like this, so it does work.

Thank you! I will try running 8.3...