App Rejected: Guideline 4.0 Design

Apple rejected our app with the following response:

We noticed an issue in your app that contributes to a lower quality user experience than Apple users expect:

- Upon launching the app, a web page in mobile Safari opens first, then returns to the app. The user should be able to use the app immediately upon launch.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please revise your app to address all instances of this type of issue.

--------

The app we're developing is a keyboard extension. The use-cases do not require a user to actually open the app and use it. As a result, in the app itself (should you launch it from home/springboard), we redirect the user to our website, which informs the user how to use the product. From Apple's response, this clearly isn't the right way. My question:

1. If a user were to be redirected to Messages, would this solve the problem

2. Part of the problem seems that opening the app through springboard is misleading. But my understanding is that we cannot have apps without icons (I tried getting some info on Stackoverflow as well). Do keyboard apps need to be published differently so that we dont have an icon in springboard? If so, please redirect me to some documentation/Xcode configuration/resources to achieve this.

Pardon me if there are some wrong terms used, I am new to the Apple ecosystem and this is my first experience in mobile development.

Replies

>we redirect the user to our website, which informs the user how to use the product.

What is it about your extension that the user needs an immediate tutorial? Are they expected to register at that website?