Public Database Cleared in Production?

Hello:

My app's entire production public database was cleared. All user data is gone. I do not see how that could have happened. But it looks to have happened this morning at around 5 AM GMT.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of tache Down vote post of tache
4.9k views
  • What was the final resolution of this? Did data come back? Does this happen periodically when apple does something?

Add a Comment

Replies

The same thing has happened with my CloudKit-based app. I'm getting reports from users in the last 24 hours indicating their data is gone. I have not updated the app in several months and I've done nothing through the Dashboard in many months until I logged in today to research this issue. Most of the lost data is from their own private database though scanning the public database, there also seems to be some missing data there as well.

Any Apple folks know of something happening with iCloud? This is really bad.

Same Problem, data totally gone from production public database in ICloud. My app is rendered useless. Hoping for restoration soon.

Update: Production public database data has started to repopulate - I see records going back till January 2017 now.

BUT - we do not see the any of the `Users` records repopulating, and do not see any of our test data out test production private databases.

I have the same experience since May 25 and have contacted Apple support with a case number. It seems they are working on it but I have not heard back on the resolution. I too am seeing some data showing up now both in production and development but not everything is there and some queries are no longer working. This is really scary. I am wondering - has anyone implemented their own backup and restore mechanism? Can you share your insights please?

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/103363

This is my activity describing the same problem.

Data lost is really bad bad.

I've heard from a couple of users that their data has magically returned. So hopefully this means that whatever issue caused the data loss is being fixed for all users.

This is very scary. For my app, I store everything locally in a core data database and synch it with the cloud. If data can disappear in the cloud, I think I will need to add an 'Upload All' method. I wonder if all of the data eventually was returned. If so, it probably wouldn't affect my app.

The same thing just happened to me late night on August 22. It wasn't every single record type, maybe half of them, the data was gone.

Yesterday, August 23 in the early evening, about 30 records returned to one type, but the rest are still empty.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no direct CloudKit support. I spent one of my code-level support queries yesterday morning. I have yet to hear back.

Does anyone know of another Apple contact point that might be useful?

>another Apple contact point that might be useful?

Not for code-level questions/issues. You'll need to be patient and wait for your turn in the DTS queue.

Good luck.