Updated to High Sierra, all Admin accounts now Standard

Hi there,

I am hoping someone might know how to fix this - after updating to High Sierra, the two admin accounts on this machine are all of a sudden standard accounts. There is no admin account at all, which means I can't seemingly fix this problem because there is no admin I can log into. Any changes to the system or software installs I try to do that require admin approval, I have no way to grant it. And no way to create a new admin user without an existing.

I've looked up a couple of ways around this, but none have worked so far (example, using the command resetpassword while in recovery mode in terminal - it no longer allows you to select the root - it only shows the two Standard account - no way to create an admin. Also tried "resetting" the setup so I would reboot and have to go through setup again, forcing the system to allow me to create a new user through the setup process, but High Sierra doesn't go through those steps.)

Anyone have any ideas on what to try? There's always wiping the entire system, installing a fresh copy, setting up a detault user, and then importing the old users - but I thought I would see if anyone here could save me some time with some simple commands 🙂

Replies

Too bad you have to be part of a secret society to collect bug bounties. I bet stuff like this would happen a lot less if they opened up the wallet and let regular developers make money off discovering these type of things.

But Apple have not patched the vulnerability that allows the contents of the Keychain to be exfiltrated EXCEPT on High Sierra. It still exists on El Capitan and Sierra....

We can't win.

It was reported that the vulnerability was on High Sierra only, so it shouldn't be necessary for them to release the patch to Sierra and El Capitan.

I just quickly attempted to reproduce it on my Mac that's still on Sierra and couldn't, but of course I didn't test thoroughly.

thank you very much

this worked for me

Thank you very much!

There is no "Other" on startup so it doesn't work.

This worked for me, thanks.

Did you do the /sbin/mount -uw / step, thats the read-only fix