WatchOS 5 installing loop

I have a Series 2 Apple Watch. I have my iPhone loaded with iOS 12 and did fine. Now I am trying to install WatchOS 5 with config file and it goes through the normal downloading, then installing/Verifing the update. It starts to install (seeing the progression ring) ticks marks. It gets to about the 7-8 tick on the ring and my watch dings as if its done and lights up. My iPhone still says installing though. As soon as I back out of the watch app, the watch app then shows I have a update for my watch which in WastchOS 5. I go into settings on my watch and still says Im on 4.3.1 WatchOS.

Anyone else having this issue?

Replies

Hi All,

Thanks for your reports - can you help us out by filing a bug report here.

Please also include a sysdiagnose from your iPhone (a sysdiagnose from your Apple Watch if you can would be even better - please install the profile) and details on the exact issue you are seeing.

Seems like there are some folks who can't see the update at all, and some who go through and update process and are still on the previous watchOS.

Please reply back with your bug # and we'll take a look.

Thanks!

-nick

I am also having this exact same issue on my Series 2. iPhone 8 its paired with is updated to iOS 12 and the profile is installed on the watch correctly. Gets through the download and prepare steps then during installation gets about 8 pips into the progress bar before the watch restarts and boots up to 4.3.2.

I have tried re-pairing the watch and re-downloading the beta profile onto it but it is still failing the install. I have probably tried about 5 times.

Same issue here - Series 2 watch paired to an X updated to iOS 12 and correct profile installed. I get to 14 pips and then the watch reboots and install fails. I have repaired, setup from backup, setup from new, installed the profie and reinstalled the profile and it keeps failing.

Same here. WatchOS 4.3.2b on a Series 2 Watch. iOS 12b1 on paired iPhone 6. I tried everything, including resetting, unpairing/pairing watch. I also get to 14 pips and then the watch reboots and install fails.

Same *exact* scenario as original post. Super frustrating. Rebuilt watch s2 as a new device and no change. Downloads, verifies, starts the install and after 7 ticks or so it ***** out to watchOS 4.3.1 and Watch app on phone thinks it’s atill installing. I even reset my Gen 2 as a new watch and no change in behavior.

I also filed a radar (40827005) for this problem.

At least the watch is still usable with 4.3.2b. (I see that this happens starting from either 4.3.1 or 4.3.2b).

Put me down for the same issues everyone else is having... my s1 gets to about 13 ticks and then just cuts off and restarts, while the iPhone continues to install until it just stops and tries to start the installaiton procss over. I've done everything everyone else has done. I'm not waiting 2 weeks for a fix. They push a fix so we can use the beta now or I'm done with this 1980s garbage. The install process is pathetic and long. My 8 year old cousin can do better on accdient. Pick it up Apple. Do something great.

You need to make sure the WatchOS 5 profile is installed on both your phone, and your watch, run the install, and let it go into the apple logo screen, then go into the watch up, and ask your phone to unpair your watch. You shouldn't loose anything because it has backed up before the OS5 install. Once this is complete, the phone will tell you welcome to apple watch, and should give you the option to begin pairing, at which point the watch will have restarted, and show 'bring the watch into the viewfinder' to pair.

Repair the phone and watch, and walk through setup, and opt to restore from the backup that was made..

Then you should have a working watch again, with Watch OS 5 and no frozen boot loop logo.

Apple has pulled the watchOS 5 beta 1. It now says:

watchOS 5 beta Coming Soon

Seed 1 of watchOS 5 is temporarily unavailable. We are investigating an issue that occurs while updating. If you’ve experienced any issues, please contact AppleCare.

looks like apple os working on it, download proifle says coming soon

I was just about to get the logging profiles to do this but I realized that unfortunately I can't provide a sysdiagnose for this because the watchOS 5 profile has been pulled from the Developer Downloads page, due to this problem.

Quick note here - the watchOS 5 profile should be installed on your Apple Watch, *not* your iPhone. The iOS 12 profile should be installed there.

Thanks,

-nick

Anyone with this issue contact AppleCare? The message on the download page says ‘any’ issues. Curious if they really mean ‘any’ or only those unfortunate to not have a working watch.

New beta seems to be up according to download page, it's nammed "beta 1 Update" here (took a few reboots to get it).

Currently downloading, will report if it fixes things.

Edit : Can confirm that the installation now goes through (no longer stopping/restarting the watch after 7/8 ticks, from latest 4.3.1 GM on watch series 2). The whole thing takes a pretty long time (both first restart post install, the time when you see the tick thing again, and the second one with just the Apple logo, before you can actually use the watch) but all ok now. Thanks to the team for fixing it.

I was able to get watchOS5 up and running with the profile that was released today. It took the usual (long) time to download to the watch, prepare the update, verify, install and reboot a couple more times but it seems to be working fine. I have a Series 2 watch.