Xcode 9.3 daemons diagnosticd and homed high CPU usage when running playground

Hi,
Every time I start Xcode and launch a playground (with only on line of code), it is extremely slow to be executed and 2 new daemons are started: homed (takes ~60% CPU usage) and diagnosticd (takes ~150% CPU usage). Killing diagnosticd does nothing, it is immediately restarted. But killing homed will kill diagnosticd too and they never restart after. After having killed homed I'm still able to run my playground.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Xcode 9.3 (my version is 9E145)
  2. Create or open a playground (with only one line of code, if you want)
  3. If it is configured to run manually, run it
  4. during the phase "Launching simulator", daemons diagnosticd and homed are started -> high CPU usage that never stops

What are these daemon supposed to do ? Is there a workaround to fix this issue without killing the deamon everytime I start XCode and run a playground ?

Thanks,

Xavier Mawet

Edit: I'm not the only one to have this issue, there is a question that has been created recently in stackoverflow for the same issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49591847/xcode-9-3-playground-diagnosticd

Version/Build:

Xcode: 9.3 (9E145)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Configuration:

Mac mini Mid 2011

Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB RAM DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB

SSD Sandisk Ultra 2 480GB

Replies

same issue, cpu 100degree celsius every times, scare to open....😢 downloading 9.4 beta hope it will ifx😢

THANK YOU!!!! 9.4 beta fixed this problem, YEAAAAAAH!!!GO TO DOWNLOAD 9.4BETA!!!

It also seems that this does not happen for macOS playgrounds. As soon as I switch from Mac to iOS, I see 'homed' and 'diagnosticd' spike up their CPU usage. So if you can get by with a macOS playground, that may be a workaround for now.

This solved it for me. Go to Developer account and get latest copy of Xcode 9.4 Beta. CPU usages is normal < 3%

how can I close my newly opened radar as a dupe 🙂

Did you have to unintall Xcode 9.3 first?will existing swift playgrounds and xode projects "upconvert?"

With 9.4 I have problems, running tests, they hang.

My Bug report (39077737) has been flagged as a duplicate of bug report 37822125. I've downloaded the latest release of Xcode (9.3.1 build 9E501) which include a fix for the the case 37822125 (the duplicate of mine). But I still have the issue : High CPU usage when opening playground !!! Do you still have the issue too ?
However, I don't have the issue in Xcode 9.4 beta 2 (which however include the fix for the the case 37822125 too) ...
Consequently, I think that the issue 37822125 which has been fixed and the issue I described are two totally different things contrary to what apple concideres

Just downloaded and installed Xcode 9.3.1, which solves the diagnosticd/homed High CPU usage, but..... replaces it with a XCode high CPU usage.

Xcode runs 100% to %150 CPU, with no signs of stopping.

I'm downloading XCode 9.3.

As K4k1m I've installed the last Xcode release hoping this one was going to fix this issue.

Unfortunitaly nope !

The issue is still there for me too.

I've tried Xcode 9.4 beta 2 and I haven't this issue under this release.

Macbook Pro mid-2014

RAM 8 GB

High Sierra 10.13.4

Same as others: just updated to Version 9.3.1 (9E501). `homed`/`diagnosticd` gone, but Xcode process taking up massive CPU when using playground. Ouch! Can't terminate that process to fix the problem...

I greatly appreciate your efforts and information, @eskimo!

Same problem here. Xcode Version 9.3.1 (9E501)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). Mac OS High Sierra.

Seems XCode 10 corrects several Playground issues.

Give it a try.

I'm having the same problem with Xcode 10.0 and Mac OS Mojave. 😠 I looked up for diagnosticd and homed processes, but I did not find any one.

Any idea to fix that?