Installation stuck on Restarting, doesn't install

My newish 15" MacBook Pro is having an issue installing 10.13.5 Developer Beta 2 from 10.13.4 Beta. The installation is attempted, but the installation process freezes when the black screen says "Restarting". It will stay on this for hours, and I ultimately have to do a hard restart. At this point, the update is not installed. This has been going on for weeks.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

I'm having a similar issue. The beta appears in my App Store, it downloads succesfully, and when I click Restart to complete the installation I get a black screen with an arrow icon cursor, and it sits there until I force power down. When I power up, I get an error saying there was an error and had to close, and I'm back to where I was. I'm running the last 10.13.4 Beta on my Early 2015 MacBook , and have had this issue with 10.13.5 Beta's 1, 2 and now today, Beta 3. I called Apple and they said they do not support Beta software and to check here in the Forums.

Do you have boot password for your laptop?

Any antivirus software installed?

It looks like some kernal extention prevent you from upgrade. try to uninstall any system interacting software.

if upgrade did not work you can use full install from USB/CD.

Interesting. I too encountered this yesterday with the latest beta. And I tried running Disk Utility (which seems to have hung). Only way to get back is to, as you said, force restart, and the installer remains in the App Store. Restart, doesn't install (hung on black screen with arror), force restart. Rinse & repeat. Ugh.

please, if you tried with latest beta 5, and have new Informations about, please type here in, dont want to try out on my second System now...

but it would be interesting for me, if anything is change to situation before.

Just to follow up on this. I continued to have issues of it being stuck in rebooting. And I did reinstalled of High Sierra (production as well as beta). What finally fixed everything for me was to launch recovery, completedly delete HD (yes, I had a Time Machine backup), reinstall High Sierra (from Internet), and then restore from my Time Machine backup. All works fine. And then I was able to update to beta 5. No reboot hangs (knock on wood).

This is still happening for me on the same machine even after transitiong to the Mojave beta. Any attempt to normally install a Software Update leads me to a black screen stuck on "Restarting...". The only fix is to restart in Safe Mode and install the Software Update.

Is there a permission that needs to be repaired or perhaps a file that needs to be deleted?

I was experiencing the same issue until I uninstalled Avast antivirus & manually deleted its related kernel extensions, launch agents and launch daemons. To be doubly sure I stopped related processes in Activity Manager that were still running & restarted the machine before updating without any further problem. I had previously tried disabling the antivirus during update but that was clearly not enough, so although this might be a bit belt & braces it DID resolve the issue for me. Thanks to aposp.