Binary being denied automatically for no reason?

I keep getting an automated email saying

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

The app doesn't import CoreLocation or reference anything related to location.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Replies

>Any ideas why

Perhaps if you talked a bit about what the app does, what category it's in, what platform(s) it targets is this a new app or an update to an existing, what OS it supports, which Xcode was used to build it, what if any 3rd party libraries it uses, etc, etc.

I've been experiencing this today as well when trying to upload builds to iTunes Connect, for the location keys specifically. My app also does not access location, and I've made no changes there since submitting a build yesterday...

I'm adding my case to this as well as this just happened to me. I checked my change history, found the word "location" mentioned, but am not sure if that is the problem.

(i.e. My app does not call for location to my knowledge but the word "location" was part of variable names that were commented out.)

Same issue.

App support iOS and iPad, support today widget.

Xcode Version 9.3 (9E145).

macOS version 10.13.3 (17D47).

3rd party libraries no use location.

Update has been existing in app store app.

Same issue for me, started late last night and has persisted. I use location when in use and have successfully submitted builds whose info.plist file is identical.

The app does use the location but all permissions are requested correctly.

Same issue for me... could anyone support us? Right now it's impossible submit new binaries

Same issue here. Happened on 3 different apps that all uploaded fine on Tuesday, yesterday they all failed for this reason. I have temporarily put in some dummy text for the plist to get me through testflight testing, however this needs to be fixed so I can push to the store.

Still failing April 26th 12 noon BST.

Has anyone had any response from Apple on this... will it be fixed?

If not, for an app that doesn't use location what is an acceptable message to pass validation?

Same here, we uploaded a new binary with the same content of our previous version, it gave this error. Something has definitely changed at the Apple side.

This is also happening for all of our apps as well, starting yesterday. We haven't changed anything as far as location services go, and we haven't updated any Cocoapods for quite a while. We submitted some builds earlier in the day yesterday successfully, then made a tiny change that had nothing to do with location services, made new builds a couple hours later, and then those new builds started having this problem. One of my teammates spoke with an Apple developer support person and they basically didn't have anything useful to say and just pointed him to the standard Apple developer resources on the various location service info plist keys like NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription, etc.

We have the same problem, and our NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription is correclty completed with a description that was been accepted the last week.

"The application would like to use your current location to display it on the app, and also for display all the contents around you in the map."

Still receiving the error:

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Any solution?

We are suddenly seeing this issue as well, and we haven't made any related code changes.

We're seeing this because we're using Urban Airship for push messages, and it includes a class UALocation, which has the option to request Always Authorization, which requires the privacy Info.plist keys for location.

It's probably best to remove this class (or the few lines that calls the authorization function), or to supply a privacy reason if you do use UALocation.

What libraries/sdk's are you using in your project?

I am a developer at OneSignal and we've been seeing reports of this issue. The strange thing is, our SDK checks to see if the developer has these NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription or NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription keys before it tries to request location authorization. If either of these keys is missing from info.plist, the SDK will not attempt to use location services.

Did Apple change the way they are detecting this recently...?