Xcode 9.3 daemons diagnosticd and homed high CPU usage when running playground

Hi,
Every time I start Xcode and launch a playground (with only on line of code), it is extremely slow to be executed and 2 new daemons are started: homed (takes ~60% CPU usage) and diagnosticd (takes ~150% CPU usage). Killing diagnosticd does nothing, it is immediately restarted. But killing homed will kill diagnosticd too and they never restart after. After having killed homed I'm still able to run my playground.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Xcode 9.3 (my version is 9E145)
  2. Create or open a playground (with only one line of code, if you want)
  3. If it is configured to run manually, run it
  4. during the phase "Launching simulator", daemons diagnosticd and homed are started -> high CPU usage that never stops

What are these daemon supposed to do ? Is there a workaround to fix this issue without killing the deamon everytime I start XCode and run a playground ?

Thanks,

Xavier Mawet

Edit: I'm not the only one to have this issue, there is a question that has been created recently in stackoverflow for the same issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49591847/xcode-9-3-playground-diagnosticd

Version/Build:

Xcode: 9.3 (9E145)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Configuration:

Mac mini Mid 2011

Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB RAM DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB

SSD Sandisk Ultra 2 480GB

Replies

Hi,

to terminate the process homed made my mac quieter but playground seems to stop working correctly.

Sorry for the google translation 😉

I`ve tryed the 9.4 from my developers account - it works better but crashes from time to time.

Now i installed the 9.3 from my developers account and it seems to be a "better" version than the 9.3 from the App Store.

Mee too.

I have the same problem

Same here with Xcode 9.3 and High Sierra. Created a new playground with 4 lines and wondered why it wasn't running. CPU usage showed similar results to what you described.

Same Issue. Please fix this Apple :-) Thanks!

Same here

When starting pg 2 diagnosticd processes root & user statrs and processor goes up to 80 degrees with fan starts go crazy

MPB 2011 13" i7 8Gb RAM 1128Gb SSD HighSierra 10.13.4 XCode 9.3

Yep, me too. Killing `homed` (twice) in Activity Monitor fixes it.

Almost a week ago, I was having this same issue. I filed it in the Bug Reporter, and I’m still waiting for a single response from an engineer.

https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=39345376

I opened a Bug report 18 days ago and have still no answer

https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=39077737

Folks, thanks for taking the time to file bugs about this. It seems that james_hillhouse’s bug (r. 39068087) is going to be the lead bug here, and the rest are likely to find their way back as dup’s.

The underlying problem here seems to be what subaruBob reported on 4 Apr, namely, over-enthusiastic logging by the MediaRemote subsystem. We’re tracking that separately (r. 39365063).

As to an official workaround, I’m not aware of anything specific. If anyone would care to open a DTS tech support incident, I or one of my colleagues could dig into this in more depth.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I did the same as well on April 3.

Hi eskimo,

I just opened a DTS Technical Support Incident for this issue (Case ID: 689578082).

Hope this will help!

I just opened a DTS Technical Support Incident for this issue (Case ID: 689578082).

Thanks. Developer tools isn’t really my area of responsibility, so I’m hoping that one of my colleagues will pick this up. I’ve commented the incident with my thoughts on this issue.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Having the same high CPU usage issue, did you solved the trouble?

Same here:

Version/Build:

Xcode: 9.3 (9E145)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Configuration:

MacBook Pro 15" mid-2010

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Crucial_CT1024MX200SSD1 (1T SSD, using trimforce)