Coreaudio issues High Sierra

After I started the Beta testing my audio is not working. I do get the start chime when rebooting but once the OS is loaded I have no audio.

Facts:

The volume icon in menu bar is grey

System preference for sound is not loading, an error shows after some time, timeout

the Mac freezes once a sound is supposedly played

coreaudiod is not visible in the activity monitor

I tried to restart :

MacBook-Pro:~ Pindus$ sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod.plist

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod.plist: service already loaded

I tried starting the coreaudiod from /usr/bin/coreaudiod:

MacBook-Pro:~ Pindus$ /usr/sbin/coreaudiod ; exit;

Segmentation fault: 11

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...8 completed.

[Process completed]

Some system notifications:

default 22:03:25.498546 +0200 coreaudiod hciControllerPublished

default 22:03:25.498651 +0200 coreaudiod Open connection to bluetoothd (0x7f85d4d2ccc0)

default 22:03:25.499855 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.apple.coremedia.endpointmanager.xpc.

default 22:03:25.499945 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.apple.coremedia.endpoint.xpc.

default 22:03:25.500011 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.apple.coremedia.endpointstream.xpc.

default 22:03:25.538975 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named InstantOn.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.rogueamoeba.instanton-agent.

I suppose I can wait for the beta to be over and done with, but 1+ month without any sound is driving me crazy. Will appreciate any help I can get.

Accepted Reply

pindus, I have a good news for you. Since I noticed we both have RogueAmeba soft onboard, I tried to uninstall Airfoil (and Airfoil Satellite, for a company). And you know - sound is back, and Sound app in System Preferences opens correctly!

Replies

I will try updating, and hopefully it works. 🙂 Thanks!

I have updated my Mac to High Sierra 10.13.3 and the speakers still aren't showing in the output tab in the sound preferences.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You guys have just saved me from completely wipping and formatting my Mac as suggested by Mac support!

I had exactly the same issue as above but also Safari and Chrome were completely unresponsive too.

For anyone else searching for this Instant.On Driver make sure you use the "GO TO FOLDER" option from the Go menu and type in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ to find it as you wont be able to find it by just searching

Once you have deleted the file and program, logout and then login again. Everything will be back to normal.

Many, many thanks. You made my day, my week, whatever.

I had the problem under macOS 12.1 Monterey. The symptom was that the menu bar at the top was not showing and input into Terminal, etc. was not possible.

For me, the solution was also to look in the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL folder and delete the plugins there. In my case the criminal was the Zoom plug-in. I had actually already uninstalled Zoom on suspicion, but the audio plug-ins were still in that directory.

So that I can find this thread again later, if it should happen again, here is my crash report from the log console:

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process: com.apple.audio.Core-Audio-Driver-Service [300]
Path:                  /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.audio.Core-Audio-Driver-Service.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.audio.Core-Audio-Driver-Service
Identifier: com.apple.audio.Core-Audio-Driver-Service
Version: 1.0 (1)
Build Info:            AudioHAL-288031000000000~12
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
Responsible: coreaudiod [225]
User ID: 202

Date/Time: 2022-01-05 09:21:25.1098 +0100
OS Version: macOS 12.1 (21C52)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: BF2BB710-1046-836F-CFC1-B5C913740DCD

Time Awake Since Boot: 19 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 7 Dispatch queue: com.apple.NSXPCConnection.user.anonymous.225

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000706c7390
Exception Codes: 0x000000000001, 0x0000706c7390
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process: exc handler [300]

VM Region Info: 0x706c7390 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 2602638448
      REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT 10b8d9000-10b909000 [ 192K] r-x/r-x SM=COW ...river-Service