how to trigger sysdiagnose on iPhoneX

how to trigger sysdiagnose on iPhoneX

Replies

Seen this thread? https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/80811

Instructions for taking a sysdiagnose are posted on our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs. Are you saying that these don’t work on an iPhone X?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

@eskimo, how should you collect info for a CallKit (Call Directory Extension) Radar? I see nothing for CallKit in the link.

If there’s no advice that’s specific to the area of the system where you’re working, a general sysdiagnose log is the best you can do. In some cases the relevant engineering team may get back to you asking for more information, but a lot of the time a sysdiagnose log is all that’s needed (there’s a reason why they’re so big :-)

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

No, they don't. They are taking me to the SOS screen.

I have, on occasion, needed to take a sysdiagnose on my SO’s iPhone XS Max, and those instructions worked for me. The only thing I did differently was to remove her cover; I found the cover made it hard for me to press the buttons simultaneously.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Does it work for you on iPhone 8? Because that's what I'm using, and I have a feeling that those instructions were updated for iPhone X (without the home button) by replacing that instruction instead of adding to it.

Does it work for you on iPhone 8?

Alas, I don’t have an iPhone 8 to test with (or any other device with a solid state Home button). However, my recollection is that triggering a sysdiagnose has never involved the Home button, and thus the procedure on iPhone 8 should be the same as all other iPhones. Certainly, I regularly take a sysdiagnose log on my ‘victim’ iPhone 6s and that doesn’t involve the Home button.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I can confirm that Apple's procedure is quite a bit unreliable, and seems to require a perfection of timing that is difficult to achieve. I am following the instructions found here:

https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/iOS/iOS_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf

When I press and hold both volume buttons and the power button, the first thing that happens is that I get the screen with sliders for Power Off, Medical ID, and SOS. If I continue to hold, the slider for SOS begins counting down from 5. I have tried letting go of the buttons as soon as that screen appears, as close to 1-1.5 seconds as possible before the SOS countdown starts, immediately when the SOS countdown starts, or slightly into the countdown.

I probably tried to trigger this 7-8 times, and only on the most recent did it finally actually trigger a sysdiagnose. There's no way an average user having a problem and asked to produce a sysdiagnose is going to be able to achieve this.

For the record, this is on an iPhone X running iOS 12.2.

You can try create sysdiagnose using AssistiveTouch. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch > Single Tap and select Analytics in list. Then return to AssistiveTouch and enable it. Finally, touch the button. Sysdiagnose will start.

2023 Update: I was also experiencing the same issue as thomasareed and others on this issue. For me, aapldevusr suggestion of using the AssistiveTouch functionality worked beautifully, but I realized later when looking at the list of files output by the diagnostics that every time I pressed the volume and power buttons and it was showing me the option of turning off the iPad, it was also dropping a diagnostics file into the list (in this iOS iteration, the list is at Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytic Data). So, for others seeing this problem, check the list for updated diagnostic files prior to doing aapldevusr suggestion.