Keychain on Apple Watch - Watch OS 2

Has anyone found a workaround for accessing Keychain data stored on an iPhone from an Apple Watch? Is there any way to synchronize the keychains? I for one am very agrevated that my perfectly-functioning Watch OS 1 app must be completely rewritten for Watch OS 2.

Replies

Did you ever find a solution? I have been trying to get answers to but with no luck. See this thread too: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/6763

What I ended up doing is sending a message over wcconnectivity to the iPhone which causes the iPhone to pass an array of key names and key values to the watch over wcconnectivity which the watch iterates through and stores into its own keychain. Until this data is loaded, the watch shows a "connecting to iPhone" message and displays the previously cashed data fully usably.

Thanks Moballo, this seems to confirm that there really isn't a way to share a keychain between the watch and phone. I was looking a the same solution but I am worried about how well the syncing will work and how reliable it will be. Have you done any tests in real devices yet? The phone will actually receive the wcconnectivity request and read from its keychain an pass that data back to the watch? Is this a security risk? Any feedback would be very helpful. Thanks!

It's working in the sim, rp1230. I have done a tiny bit of limited testing on device and it seems to work. I have been unable to extensively test on device as I've been running into problems getting xcode to load apps onto my Apple Watch. I think I remember hearing that the data stream is encrypted (I hope). There is a slight delay as expected, but it seems to function. I was thinking of also adding that userinfo transfer that wcconnectivity offers, but so far just the message transfer has sufficed. I would reccomend cashing the data watch-side so the watch app is still useable while awaiting data from iPhone. I have a button that pops up should the connection fail which the user can click to try to reconnect.

Thanks again Moballo for your feedback, it really has been helpful! I kind your approach of caching some data to present while the connection is being made to the phone. Adding a button to reconnect is a good idea too. I will look at implementing a similar approach. I am also looking into a way to do the sync in the background so if the user updates thier pasword via the phone app, the watch will get updated too. Thanks!

I found this one: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31707375/keychain-access-on-watchos-2-not-working-on-the-actual-watch

Can somebody confirm that they have keychain access working on WatchOS2 GM? I still cannot get it to work.

So no iCloud keychain? So basically when you have a key on Apple Watch it creates its own keychain? I also use watchConnectivity to set my keys on Apple Watch but still have a few points oustanding:

1. WatchConnectivity is only iOS 9, so how does one on iOS8 or earlier tell Apple Watch to create keychains?

2. Will iCloud keychain ever be available on Apple Watch? What will have to the two sets of keys?