Permanent signing for personal use

I have developed an iPad app as an exercise to help me get familiar with iOS development.

The app I have developed also, however, happens to be very useful to me. And so, I would not like to distribute it (I don't have the right to) but I would like to be able to install it permanently on my iPad.

So far, I have been using my developer certificate which is designed for testing. As such of course it only lasts for a week or so. After which the app will no longer launch.

So, my question is, is there a way to sign the app so that I can install from XCode on a more permanent basis? Is distribution on the App Store really the only way to get an app installed permanently?

Replies

> Is distribution on the App Store really the only way to get an app installed permanently?

Yes. Note those apps are (re)signed by Apple.

All individual signing otherwise comes with expiration limits. At the most, you can only enjoy a one year max limit via a US$99 paid Individual Developer Account, renewable when the fee is repeated annually.

The one week limit you're seeing now is via Apple's 'free provisioning' profile - not a developer certificate.

Edit: added current link.