Disk not ejected properly

Since upgrading my iMac to High Sierra Beta I somtimes got the 'Disk not ejected properly' from my Thunderbolt 2 raid (still HFS filesystem).

After now connecting my USB 2 external disk to back up after about a minute or two it started to constantly connect and disconnect (Hole list of "Disk not ejected properly" in notifications).

Connecting both disk to my Sierra MacBook Pro does not show this behavior. Any idea what is triggering this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of nicolask Down vote post of nicolask
83k views
  • I have the same problem with one of my two Seagate 8TB USB drives. Both are connected to mi M1 iMac via an ANKER hub. The drive I use for TimeMachine has no issues. The other one I use for media files keeps popping up the "Drive Not Ejected Properly" message every time the computer wakes up. Per Seagate suggestions, I checked the cables, switched ports on the hub, set the energy settings to "Prevent you Mac from automatically sleeping", not "Put hard disks to sleep", and "Wake for network access". I also repaired the drive which needed repair. Seagate suggested that the not ejected warning would pop up if the disk needs repair. The disk did need to be repaired. This worked fine after the first awakening. Then it resumed popping up the notification. It turns out that the disk needed repairing once more.

Any suggestions?

Add a Comment

Replies

Well - just got off of Genius support. They are claiming it is a High Sierra issue.

- Your drive needs to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

--It is

- It needs to be reformatted with APFS, but then it won't work on older Macs

-- It also works on Windows machines

- It has been a struggle for us too. Probably a sign of greater things to come

So basically reformat your drive (I'm dubious that will even work) to APFS. Even though I have another drive that works and is NOT APFS type.

Or don't upgrade to High Sierra.

Or...just hope it mysteriously fixes itself

There is a deeper problem, I have a new iMac 27" 2017 which has a 2014 iMac as a secondary display using Target Display mode. Everytime the 2017 sleeps the target display disconnects, as well as the 4 USB 3.0 drives. The target display is connected to the USB-c and the other drives to the USB 3.0. I installed Mountain to remount if this happens, and I get a Kernal Panic when it tries to mount all the drives. I will try one at a time next.

I removed this Epson extension "EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext" and my disks are now sleeping and waking properly.

It looks like i'm 2 years late to the conversation but i'm experiencing the same issue with a 2020 Macbook Air Running Catalina. My external hard drive is plugged into a usb adapter to thunderport. Shortly after the HD icon shows up on the desktop it quickly disappears and i get the error that the device was not ejected properly(just like the rest of the folks on this thread). Does anyone have a solution? Does apple read this? If so why haven't they chimed in with a resolution?

I've tried all the quick fix steps suggested throughout the thread and no luck. Anyone? Please?
I am having the same issue with my Macbook pro 2020, I have tried the troubleshooting steps but to no avail.

Anyone else having the same issue on the newer system? Or have any advice on how to fix this?
After reading about it online I found out changing my port fixed the problem. So if you have it in the top one which is what I I did it constantly popped up a message saying I didn't eject it properly and would have to unplug & replug it back in. I moved my USB to the one beside it and it stopped doing it.
I am having the same issue with using Catalina with my Macbook Pro 2020
So this happened to me and assuming I got it back up in running, I guess it's fixed.

Items:
  1. MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) (Big Sur version 11.3)

2. Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD

3. M.2 SSD Enclosure (houses the Samsung 860 Evo)

4. USB Type C to Micro USB 3.0 (adapter cord to connect extSSD to USB-C ports on MAC)

5. USB Type C Hub Adapter/ USB-C dock

Beginning:
  • I formatted a new external SSD (Samsung EVO 860) to work on M1 MAC Pro (Big Sur v11.3). I used Disk Utility to erase and format SSD into APFS so MAC can read-write to it. During this process, a USB-C dock was used. Power and mouse are the devices connected to USB-C dock. Formatting to NFPS completed properly.

• While extSSD connected to USB-C dock, I conducted a test by copying large video files. Two minutes in, I stopped the process normally, canceling using the dialog box, as it seemed that the files were copying properly.

Issue Begins
  • I removed USB-C dock and connect extSSD and power cord directly to Type C ports on MAC.

• I resume copying files to extSSD, and during copying;

• MAC gives error "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 100006)"

• Finder gives error "Disk Not Ejected Properly Eject "Samsung Evo 860" before disconnecting or turning it"

• ExtSSD disappears from Desktop (Prior to removal of USB-C dock, I didn't properly eject extSSD. Crap, I may have corrupted the drive!)

Troubleshooting: (Without USB-C dock attached)
  • Unplugged and plugged. MAC recognizes drive. Restart copy. Same errors from MAC and Finder. ExtSSD disappears.

• Used Disk Utility>First Aid. Restart Copy. Same errors from MAC and Finder. ExtSSD disappears.

• Used Disk Utility>Erase (All other formats are available except APFS, weird). Opted for Mac OS (Extended) Journaled format. Restart copy. Same errors from MAC and Finder. ExtSSD disappears.

• Removed extSSD from MAC and plugged into Windows 10 laptop. Used Disk Cleanup to format extSSD with no file system.

• Removed extSSD from Windows, plugged into MAC, and format drive to use on MAC.

• AFPS file system is now an available option to use. File system APFS format complete.

• Restarted Copy. Same errors from MAC and Finder. ExtSSD disappears.

At this point, I'm thinking this extSSD is bricked. Done. Kaput. Then I had an odd idea. Why don't I just set it all back up the way it was.

Solution:
  • Attached USB-C dock to MAC. Connected extSSD (with APFS file system) and power supply to dock.

• Restarted copy. All files transferred without errors.

I'm assuming this issues has to be about voltage. I have been reading about SSDs becoming bricked due to power outages. I think by interrupting the file system by improper ejection of SSD can damage it. I say things better in my head then typing it, but I hope this helps someone.

Seemingly same issue here. New MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) Retina, running Big Sur 11.4. Samsung 840 EVO plugged into a right-sided USB-3 port via Apple's pricey USB-C to HDMI and USB adapter (Samsung Smart Monitor connected to HDMI).

I had forgotten to plug in the power adapter, and noticed a low battery warning (not low enough to cause the MBP to hibernate), so I plugged in the Apple USB-C charger supplied with the MBP into a left-sided USB-C port. Retina screen and external monitor go dead. Finally after about a minute the MBP wakes up and syncs with the external monitor after several failed attempts. Even though the USB-3/HDMI adapter was never unplugged, I got "DISK NOT EJECTED PROPERLY"...

This is a SERIOUS ISSUE, as it can brick an expensive SSD. Very disconcerting that Apple has not fixed an issue that has been there for FOUR YEARS.

I have found a solution to this problem. What I did was that I enabled "Prevent your mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off" in Energy saver of System Preferences. Disabled "Put hard disks to sleep whenever possible". Then the most important step is to copy the photos library to your hard drive and open that library. Never quit Photos app, & while shutting down your Mac, select "Reopen windows when logging back in". And that's it.

This worked for me, see if this works for you

2013 Mac Pro + Promise Pegasus 2 R6 RAID.

Since, and only since, updating to Big Sur I'm unable to put my computer to sleep without the hard drives being ejected incorrectly (according to the system error message). This causes all kinds of workflow issues. For example, in Adobe Premiere Pro it prevents the most recent projects list from populating, since the hard drive where the project files reside was disconnected. If I leave the edit program open when the computer goes to sleep all of the footage goes offline when I come back. Lord knows what it's doing to the hard drives by force ejecting them.

This was never a problem on any OS version before. There are dozens and dozens of threads about this all over the internet dating back years now.

FIX THIS, APPLE!!!

2022 Mac Mini + Satechi Type C Stand and Hub with SSD + Western Digital 2TB SSD. I set the system up with the SSD as the backup drive for the Time Machine. Worked for several weeks then started giving me: “Disk Not Ejected Properly Eject ‘Backup’ before disconnecting or turning it off”.

I tried running first aid. Didn't help - still got the messages. I wouldn't get the messages when I was using the system only when it was sleeping. So after looking through the forum I tried reformatting and first aid again then set the energy settings to “Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping”, disabled “Put hard disks to sleep” and “set Wake for network access’. I've also started locking the screen instead of putting the system to sleep when I leave it. Seems to be working ok now. Time Machine is running backups and I’m not getting messages so far today.

Nope, that didn't work. Still looking for a fix for the problem.

I migrated my external hard drive from a USB enclosure to an OWC miniStack STX thunderbolt enclosure and started getting the "Drive not ejected" messages non-stop when the computer went to sleep. Computer is a MacBook Air M1. Things I tried that did not work:

• Boot into safe mode & reboot
  • Reset PRAM

In the end, what did work:

• Open a Terminal window and set the disk drive sleep time to a longer interval (in my case, from 10 minutes to 20): sudo pmset -c disksleep 20

(the -c option sets the power management settings for when the Mac is connected via a charger). Slightly shorter durations (e.g. 15 minutes might work as well, I've not tested that, but I suspect that you need to make the disksleep duration > displaysleep)

You can verify your newly changed settings via: sudo pmset -g live

Here's what mine are now set to: System-wide power settings:

Currently in use:
 standby              1
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 powernap             1
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            20
 sleep                1 (sleep prevented by sharingd, bluetoothd, powerd)
 hibernatemode        3
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         10
 tcpkeepalive         1
 lowpowermode         0
 womp                 1
  • Tried setting disksleep to 20 but it it didn't work for me. Still getting the  “Disk Not Ejected Properly Eject ‘Backup’ before disconnecting or turning it off”. messages even when the computer is awake. I tried reformatting the SSD and running First Aid on it but nothing seems to help.

2022 Mac Mini + Satechi Type C Stand and Hub with SSD + Western Digital 2TB SSD.

Add a Comment

I have a Mac Mini M2 with the same issue, my external disk gets ejected randomly.

Tried the "usual" tricks plus going to Ventura Beta and changing the disksleep, it didn't work for me.

Disk is fine and worked flawlessly for 2 years with Windows PC.

Reformatted the disk to APFS for the Mini M2 and started getting this issue.

With the Mini the disk gets ejected randomly when connected directly to either TB or USB ports.

But if I connect the disk via generic USB hub to Mac Mini usb port the issue does not manifest itself, tried both USB2 and USB3 ports on the hub, also connecting the hub via another hub, and still works fine.

On another forum it was suggested this might be a current issue, too much current being drawn.

Just my 2 cents.