Import an emailed crash log into Xcode 7

My tester is remote and doesn’t use Xcode. But she grabbed a crash log for me. The only problem is, I don’t seem to be able to import it into the new Xcode. (This is an ad hoc build, so nothing shows up in the Crashes tab of the Organizer, and I can’t drag a .crash file there.)

Accepted Reply

If you plug in /any/ device then select the device in the Devices window and click View Device Logs, you should be able to drag the crash report into the resulting sheet.

And yes, I know that's not obvious )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

If you plug in /any/ device then select the device in the Devices window and click View Device Logs, you should be able to drag the crash report into the resulting sheet.

And yes, I know that's not obvious )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"

Does this still work in Xcode 8? I tried it and nothing happened.

Since this thread was last touched one of my colleagues updated Technote 2151 Understanding and Analyzing iOS Application Crash Reports with all the latest info on crash reports. Please read it through.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks for the link. I did try the steps in the Technote, and they do not work on my computer. I would suggest you try it yourself or have someone else try it, the documented steps do not work in Xcode 8 on macOS Sierra using the files I received from the app review team.

Frank

I would suggest you try it yourself …

That’s a bit hard to do given that I don’t receive crash reports from the App Review team (-:

Seriously though, most symbolication problems are caused by the lack of the relevant

.dSYM
file, either because it’s out-and-out missing, or because Spotlight can’t find it. I posted about this recently.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

When does the .dSYM file get created? Where is it stored? What would cause it to go missing or not be created in the first place?

The archived build I created when I submitted this app is still on my computer. The box for "Include app symbols for your application to receive symbolicated crash logs from Apple" was checked when I uploaded the build. The build setting for "Debug Information Format" is set to "DWARF with dSYM File". I also checked Debug Information Level (Compiler Default) and Generate Debug Symbols (Yes).

The only thing I can think of that I might have done is selected Clean from the Product menu at some point; would this do it?

Frank

When does the .dSYM file get created? Where is it stored? What would cause it to go missing or not be created in the first place?

As TN2151 says, the

.dSYM
is within your
.xcarchive

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I had the same problem. The crash file sent to me by Apple was a .txt file, I changed the file extention to .crash and then I was able to drag and drop it into the device log as mentioned in TN2151

I changed the file extention to .crash and then I was able to drag and drop it into the device log as mentioned in TN2151

Thanks for posting this tidbit.

Also, I want to clarify one part of this with you. Can you get in touch with me via email? My email address is in my signature.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Download the DYSMs from iTunes connect. That is for sure valid to symbolicate crash reports. the one from xcarchive is not valid for crashes