"Mac" prefix as app name no longer allowed at the Mac App Store?

Hi!

I am the lead developer of MacFamlyTree and we received a very strange rejection submitting a bugfix release. It seems we're no longer allowed to use "Mac" as the app name prefix:

"Your app uses Mac in the app name in a manner that is not consistent with Apple's trademark guidelines. In regards to the 5.2.5 rejection, your app uses Mac in the app name in a manner that is not consistent with Apple's trademark guidelines. Indicating Mac compatibility in the app name is not necessary for the Mac App Store. It would be appropriate to remove the term “Mac” from the app’s name before resubmitting for review."

It is really odd since Apple reviewed and approved an update of MacFamilyTree just 5 days prior to this rejection. Additionally, Apple is currently promoting MacFamilyTree big time on the Mac App Store front page. Looking at the trademark guidelines for the Mac Trademark, we're in full compliance to it.

I see numerous apps and companies using the "Mac" prefix at the Mac or iOS App Store. Has anybody made a similar experience recently? Is this just an overzealous app reviewer or some kind of new guideline that is not yet published?

Replies

While nothing in either store is a promise going forward, clampdowns like this can occur at any time and it might be as simple as timing on your part...might be an overzealous review 'bot. I am not kidding.

Did you file an appear via the resolution ctr. quoting/pointing to Legal's GUATCs The Mac Trademark 2c?

Around like three years ago (maybe more), I recall getting this rejection for porting an iOS app to Mac and using "Mac" as a suffix in the app title.

Thanks for the info. Gladly, we got the originally rejected version approved and another minor update went through the review process just fine. Hope your app from three years ago made it in the end, too!

I ended up taking "Mac" out of the app name to get the app on the store. Didn't matter to me all that much, but if it was a world famous app like yours I probably would have gotten heated if App Review forced a name change.

We were pretty scared that App Review would force us to change our name. Also, this was our first issue with the app review ever - we have received 2 or 3 rejects over the years, but everytime it was our fault (private APIs on macOS by accident, a code signing issue...stuff like that).

The issue still exists. We wish to provide both iOS and Mac versions of the same app, but not only does App Store (obviously) not allow the same name - it does not allow to use a differentiator in the name like appname (for Mac) either. No Mac allowed in the name. Any suggestions?