Xcode Crashes When Loading Sprite

Hey Everyone,

I am having a strange issue, just encountered and I am not sure what is going on.

I created 2 new button sprites using Illustrator, exported them as png files, and loaded them into image.assets. Up until this point, everything works great, I can see the images fine in the assets file.

Now, I go to my Scene file, .sks, add an SKSpriteNode, go to load the new button texture, and bam Xcode crashes. This happens every time, for both png files.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? I have latest version of Xcode, Macbook Pro 2016, and latest OSX updates.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

This appears to be a bug that others have noticed: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/96333

Xcode 9.3b2 arrived today. It might be worth testing in that version to see if the bug's been fixed, otherwise submit a bug report and (as a workaround, I guess) apply the texture at runtime.

Replies

This appears to be a bug that others have noticed: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/96333

Xcode 9.3b2 arrived today. It might be worth testing in that version to see if the bug's been fixed, otherwise submit a bug report and (as a workaround, I guess) apply the texture at runtime.

Thank you! I will give that update a try and if it doesn't work I will load the texture at runtime!

I am having a simliar problem with loading them as Textures for Tile Sets. I filed a radar on this 37670483. I just tried it with 9.3b3. Still no luck. It keeps on crashing.

I had no issues until last week when suddenly XCode started crashing as soon as you drag a texure in Scene Editor setting up tilemaps.

I don't know the cause but can only link it to the hardware.

I have reinstalled my MacBook Pro 13" 2017 with OS X Sierra, OS X High Sierra and the beta of OS X Mojave. I have tried the respective XCode on each OS X, clean installs with just the OS and XCode but same issue, crashes instantly when adding texture to sks file in Scene Editor.

It crashes with all new projects and all existing projects.

Exsiting projects work perfectly well on my MacBook Pro 15" 2014 so I can only summise the issue is with my new MacBook 13" and not the projects or XCode, is everyone else having issues with the 13" MacBook Pro? or is it more widespread than this?

Spent hours reinstalling but have found no solution yet.

I've had this problem for a long time, I've still not figured out what causes this problem to happen. BUT, I have a work around!

1. drag an empty sprite node to the scene.

2. drag a second empty sprite node to the scene, now assign your texture to this object, it shouldn't crash.

3. delete the sprite node from step 1. it helps if you chant something, the Apple gods have now been APPeased.

hope this helps, it works well enough for me.

Same problem here with Xcode 10, but got a workaround. By naming the sprite node "before" i had the texture assigned to it Xcode wont crash and all works as it should.

Hi, i have the same Problem with my MacBook Pro 13" 2016 OS X Mojave. Would love to hear some if there is a solution to this Problem.