'Restart in OS X' Not Working! Boot Camp

Hi. I upgraded to MacOS High Sierra today. Everything was going well. Had to turn off performance counters in VMware Fusion but otherwise no crashes related to virtual machine. Boot Camp and booting into Windows appeared at first to still be working great (I already had Boot Camp set up in regular Sierra). But now I can't boot back to MacOS. How do I do that now? The keyboard shortcuts during boot aren't working too well. Is there a programatic way in Windows to switch it so the next reboot it boots back to MacOS?

Accepted Reply

Plugging in a hard-wired keyboard as opposed to a wireless keyboard worked to show me the proper boot menu. Though within Windows the utility to boot back into macOS is broken (regular Sierra version of Boot Camp).

The process to migrate existing Boot Camp installations between major versions of macOS seems somewhat legacy at this point. I have to create physical media in order to migrate. It seems like from macOS, there should be a way to point to a current Windows volume previously set up by Boot Camp and it can take it from there. At least create a virtual image containing the tools for migration, and I can mount the virtual drive the next time I boot into Windows. Give me some options instead of only one option for installing Boot Camp tools for Windows, an option which requires separate physical media.

• thanks man, I was so frustrated that my macbook keyboard is broken and my external keyboard is also broken. But I used another hard-wired keyboard and the option key worked !

Add a Comment

Replies

Plugging in a hard-wired keyboard as opposed to a wireless keyboard worked to show me the proper boot menu. Though within Windows the utility to boot back into macOS is broken (regular Sierra version of Boot Camp).

The process to migrate existing Boot Camp installations between major versions of macOS seems somewhat legacy at this point. I have to create physical media in order to migrate. It seems like from macOS, there should be a way to point to a current Windows volume previously set up by Boot Camp and it can take it from there. At least create a virtual image containing the tools for migration, and I can mount the virtual drive the next time I boot into Windows. Give me some options instead of only one option for installing Boot Camp tools for Windows, an option which requires separate physical media.

• thanks man, I was so frustrated that my macbook keyboard is broken and my external keyboard is also broken. But I used another hard-wired keyboard and the option key worked !

Add a Comment

I have the High Sierra public beta and it has the same problem.

I Have a MacBook Pro which was already set up to dual boot Windows 10 using Bootcamp.

The installation of High Sierra public beta went without problem, and it seemed to work fine.

However, next time I booted into Window, Bootcamp cannot boot back into OSX. It only sees the Windows partition.

Using fdisk in Windows, the OSX partition is still listed, but with unknown type. I don’t want to muck about with the partitions in fdisk until I am sure what to do.

Now I cannot access the feedback application to report as an issue with the public beta, hence I come here.

i have the same issue. If you need to get back to macOS, I've been using the old method. Choose to restart from windows, and as soon as you hear the mac boot "chime" hold down "alt" on the keyboard. There should be an option for your two boot volumes on your screen, just use the keyboard to move over to the macOS volume and press return. I'm no developer or computer engineer but i imagine it has something to do with the new Apple File System format that windows does't recognize, as it's a new volume format that only exists on beta Mac machines, vs the older file systems which have been around for a while.

apple is yet to release drivers for boot camp for windows to recognise APFS

Following this thread, i have the same issue. Can't restart from Bootcamp into High Sierra on my Macbook Pro without doing it the "old way"

I am on 10.13 (17A365) and can concur that once installing Windows 10 Pro Creators Update with Bootcamp, I also get the error when I try to restart in OS X that Boot Camp cannot locate an OS X volume. This also renders Bootcamp support with VMware Fusion 10 unusable. Upon further digging, I found that my disk0 is Bootcamp and my disk1 is Macintosh HD. It seems to me that a switch occurs for some unknown reason, or possibly that the Bootcamp partition is being installed in the same partition or disk as the EFI partition. I can successfully use the Startup Disk selection in System Preferences. I'm going to continue to tinker around and attempt to swap the disk numbers if I can.

Update:

Apple also has written up a support article detailing how to switch in between Windows and Mac OS X. Link below. I will still attempt to figure out how to resolve the Bootcamp issue with VMware if anyone is interested.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208123

As macOS 10.13 HS is now public, user-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to Apple's public community support forums, run by AppleCare, and/or Apple's twitter support account, vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

From this link: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/high_sierra

"Announcement: macOS High Sierra is now available! If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you."

Users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/- Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

I upgraded to high sierra from sierra via appstore on 25th. Had already got windows 10 installed on bootcamp. didnt switch to windows till today. not after starting in windows 10 cant go back to osx. Recovery option not coming , option key not showing boot option. What am i supposed to do ?

I have the same issue when trying to reboot from Windows 10. The Option key during reboot works though. Since installing HSierra, when pressing Option at reboot, I have noticed that the Mac drive now shows up to the right of the Windows drive while before it was always the first drive from the left. Why is that?

Same for me, I thought it was because it changes depending on what you os you installed last so like the right would be the last os you've installed into the partition. I'm kinda stupid and my first thought was like oh maybe it's just bootcamp needing a update to support High Sierra and the apfs but my stupid curious self decided to just oh well delete my windows partition and start over (i didn't have much besides some games and some files i didn't reallt care about). Anyways now i messed up because now it automatically boots me into windows when i open my macbook pro a1707 (2017) since i can't change it to boot into macOS from the bootcamp control panel. I hope apple updates the bootcamp asap since 10.13 isn't a beta anymore but until then i guess i'm going to delete windows again because i don't feel like holding down the option key everytime now and to answer your question my theory was wrong about it being based off the last os you install into the partition because windows was still on the left so my new theory that makes more sense is that 10.13 now boots mac hd into the right for the setting and not the left anymore, which that kind of bothering me so goodbye windows until the next update for bootcamp

well a update: I'm not going to delete windows if i can change the default boot up on mac os if not then goodbye windows but i'm sure mac has that option and not only bootcamp

I have the same problem. I can not switch from my Windows SSD back to my macOS on a different SSD. In Windows, Bootcamp does not see my macOS drive. Windows itself is recognizing the macOS drive. Is there a fix yet? The option key is not working for me on startup, because I am using a Nvidia geforce gtx 1080 (not flashed). This means I do not get a boot screen. Maybe it works, but I can not see which drive I am selecting. I did not try that yet. I just don't want to hold down the option key every time I want to switch back from windows to macOS. I am using a Mac Pro 2010 with macOS High Sierra. Thank you all in advance.

Hey I am Using windows 10,installed via bootcamp in my Macbook pro with mac OS High Sierra,I am not able to enable double click by tapping on trackped as You can enable that option thru bootcamp control pannel only. Which is also not accesible.

Is there any solution for same. I have tried every single suggested wayout but nothing worked into my favour.

Please help.

Hey I am Using windows 10,installed via bootcamp in my Macbook pro with mac OS High Sierra,I am not able to enable double click by tapping on trackped as You can enable that option thru bootcamp control pannel only. Which is also not accesible.

Is there any solution for same. I have tried every single suggested wayout but nothing worked into my favour.

Please help.

1. Boot to OSX - alt key on boot

2. Open settings/startup disk, unlock, select the system disk (the only disk), then press the reboot button

3. Next time OSX will boot instead Windows