does apple allow to create an app to scan finger print to validate with another

does apple allow to create an app to scan finger print to validate with another. However, the finger print is not stored or kept in the phone. Please do advise as I am working on a project on this. Please bear with me as I am not a tech person.

Replies

does apple allow to create an app to scan finger print to validate with another.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your question. Please clarify. Perhaps you could walk us through a specific example of the workflow you’re looking for.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks. Please find the example below.

I create an app that can scan thumb print. User use the app to scan his/her thumb. The app stores this thumb print to the app and not to the mobile device. The app calls a database (via some system link, API ) that maintains various thumb prints and matches the thumb print of the user to a thumb print maintained in the database (certain countries maintains thumb print database). If there is a match, information pertaining to the thumb print in the database is sent to the app. This information could be personal details. The user than performs a registration to the app. Thereafter, this app in the mobile device can be used for accessing and paying for public transportation. The reason for this app is not only to use as a mode of payment for using public transport but more so for security purpose to mitigate the risk of terror attacks.

Hope the above is clear and would appreciate your assistance.

I create an app that can scan thumb print.

There’s two possible ways to read that:

• You want to create an app that scans thumb prints using the Touch ID sensor.

• You have created an app that scans thumb prints via other means.

Which is it? And if it’s the latter, what are those other means?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi Quinn,

Sorry, I was not clear earlier.

I want to create an app that can scan thumb print. Can I use the Touch ID sensor? Would Apple allow it?

If I can't use the Touch ID sensor, then can I use the screen to scan/read the finger print. Would Apple allow to use this method instead?

My intention is not to store the finger print anywhere but to read the finger print and match it with finger prints maintained in another database.

Can you advice me the best solution to me bro.

Thanks

If you're asking can your app access raw fingerprint data as aquired by the sensor..see this previous thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/70146

There’s two parts to this:

• What is technically possible

• The business side of things, including App Review

I’ll tackle each in turn.

On the technical side, you wrote:

I want to create an app that can scan thumb print. Can I use the Touch ID sensor?

No. App’s do not have direct access to data from the Touch ID sensor. And even if they did, a substantial number of iOS devices currently shipping don’t have Touch ID.

Note The iOS Security doc, linked to from the Security Resources pinned post, explains how iOS devices protect fingerprint data.

If I can't use the Touch ID sensor, then can I use the screen to scan/read the finger print.

No.

On the business side of things, I’m not the right person to answer questions like that. Handling fingerprint data has serious privacy implications, so I recommend that you review the App Review guidelines and the legal agreements that govern app creation and distribution, along with the laws of the countries you plan to operate in.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi Quinn,

Many thanks for this. Much helpful. However, can you connect me to a person from the business side so that I can explore this further. Thanks buddy.

However, can you connect me to a person from the business side so that I can explore this further.

No, sorry. I work for Developer Technical Support, and that’s all I can help with.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”