Missing protocol or protocol has invalid type

Hi,

I have t developed vpn application using ipsec protocol but network extension return throwing error like Error Domain=NEVPNErrorDomain Code=1 "Missing protocol or protocol has invalid type" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Missing protocol or protocol has invalid type}

Same ipsec credentials using create manual vpn profile it's working in iPhone

My Code:

private func initVPNTunnelProviderManager() {

NETunnelProviderManager.loadAllFromPreferences { (savedManagers: [NETunnelProviderManager]?, error: Error?) in

if let error = error {

print(error)

}

if let savedManagers = savedManagers {

if savedManagers.count > 0 {

self.vpnManager = savedManagers[0]

}

}

self.vpnManager.loadFromPreferences(completionHandler: { (error:Error?) in

if let error = error {

print(error)

}

let df = NEVPNProtocolIPSec()

df.authenticationMethod = .sharedSecret

df.remoteIdentifier = "testuser"

let pwd = "empty".data(using: .utf8)

df.username = "user"

df.passwordReference = pwd

let shared = "TestV2".data(using: .utf8)

df.sharedSecretReference = shared

df.serverAddress = self.serverAddress

df.localIdentifier = "localVpn"

df.useExtendedAuthentication = true

df.disconnectOnSleep = true

self.vpnManager.protocolConfiguration = df

self.vpnManager.localizedDescription = "NEPacketTunnelVPNDemoConfig"

self.vpnManager.isEnabled = true

self.vpnManager.saveToPreferences(completionHandler: { (error:Error?) in

if let error = error {

print(error)

} else {

print("Save successfully")

}

})

self.VPNStatusDidChange(nil)

})

}

}

Replies

Might be some help here?

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/25928

It looks like you’re trying to use the built-in IPsec VPN transport (that is, Personal VPN). Is that correct?

If so, you’ve definitely got problems with your configuration code. Personal VPN should be configured using the methods on

NEVPNManager
. Specifically, start with
NEVPNManager.shared
and then call
loadFromPreferences(completionHandler(_:)
on that.
NETunnelProviderManager
is only relevant if you’re configuring a custom VPN transport.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Yes it's correct and fixed my issue and another question is how will trace my packets and moniter packets in Personal vpn?

how will trace my packets and moniter packets in Personal vpn?

I’m not entirely sure what you mean, but my best guess is that you’re looking to do a packet trace, in which case you should check out the RVI mechanism described in QA1176 Getting a Packet Trace.

IMPORTANT RVI packet traces include the interface name in the packet metadata, which allows you to distinguish between VPN packets and normal packets. The Q&A has links to more info on this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks for response,

I am trying to develop a VPN App using Personal VPN - (NEVPNManager.shared without using tunnel concept)

My question : Is there any possibilty to track & fillter the packets through NEVPNManager - Personal VPN

Need For: Block URL (Malicious URL), Adult Content etc..,

VPN, both Personal VPN and a custom transport implemented using a Network Extension provider, was not designed to facilitate content filtering. It’s possible to use it for that, but you are likely to run into obstacles. For example, the user can easily disable VPN, allowing them to trivially bypass your filtering.

The recommended approach for content filtering is a Network Extension content filter provider. The main drawback to that approach, however, is that it requires that the device be supervised.

If the restrictions imposed by a VPN-based solution are acceptable to you - namely that the user has to explicitly opt in — it is possible to implement something like this using VPN. With Personal VPN you will have to do this filtering on the server side. With a custom VPN transport you can do the filtering on the client but you’ll probably still need a VPN server to talk to (for an explanation as to why, see this thread).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”