Crash logs no longer show Activity Tracing

I stumbled upn WWDC 2014’s session 714 (“Fix Bugs Faster using Activity Tracing”) and saw that using `os_activity*`, `os_activity_set_breadcrumb`, and `os_trace*` would add extra context to crash logs generated by the app.

While implementing this, I noticed the APIs mentioned in that session are deprecated, so I then stumbled upon WWDC 2016’s session 721 (“Unified Logging and Activity Tracing”), and updated the code to the new `os_activity*` APIs and to `os_log*`.

With that said, the crash logs generated by my project did not include any of the logging or breacrumbing messages. Is this no longer a thing? Or is there some sort of step to enable this?

Replies

Same here. Did you solve the issue?

I see this as well, I filed radar://35954416 today describing the issue with a sample application demonstrating it

Hi rogelio

This is currently expected. iOS 10 and above do not include activity tracing messages in generated crash reports.

This is unfortunate. The reason we adopted activity tracing and logging was the for additional context it provided in crash reports for iOS applications. Activity tracing told us how users got to the point where a crash occurred.

Would it be a possible to get a technote that documents that crash logs no longer contain this information? The original WWDC 2014 session on activity tracing did talk a bit about crash logs, the 2016 session made no mention of them. Most developers would not know that the behavior regarding crash logs changed.