Marketing/App Store Icon PNG transparency issue

I'm trying to submit my app and ran into this error:

Missing Marketing Icon - iOS Apps must include a 1024x1024px Marketing Icon in PNG format. Apps that do not include the Marketing Icon cannot be submitted for App Review or Beta App Review.

So, I updated my asset catalog to include one, but now I keep getting this error:

ERROR ITMS-90717: "Invalid App Store Icon. The App Store Icon in the asset catalog in 'Some.app' can't be transparent nor contain an alpha channel."

I have removed alpha and transparency with multiple Apps (Photoshop, pngcrush, imagemagick) but keep running into the validation error above. I'm pretty sure my PNG file does not contain any alpha channels or transparency at this point. The only way I found to pass validation is to supply the marketing icon in JPG format, contrary to the first error message.

Anybody with similar issues or ideas how to pass validation with a PNG App Store icon?

Accepted Reply

I seem to remember something like this happening in the past. What have you set as your "Deployment Target" for your project? I have mine set to 8.0 and they upload and validate fine. Does it work if you change your app's "Deployment Target"?

Replies

The only way that worked for me was to save the Store Icon with the macOS Preview tool as JPEG (in best quality) then open it again and export it to PNG.

Direct save as export without Transparency does not work, it seems the Transparency is still there... maybe a bug in the Preview tool...

Ekki

Ekkehard Beier, PD Dr. Ing. habil., Chief Executive Officer

+49 (0) 3677 668 251

intelligentgraphics GmbH, Ehrenbergstrasse 11, DE-98693 ILMENAU

Trade Registry: Amtsgericht Jena, HRB 508149

Chief Executive Officer: Ekkehard Beier

http://www.intelligentgraphics.biz

Thanks, your hint did the job! Not only for the Store Icon, but for all others as well.

Yes, I think there is a bug in the Preview - exporting png with no alpha channel does not work.

I have exported png file, asking NO alpha channel and then used Info on the resulting png. The alpha channel was present.

Hynek

Use default photo app for removing alpha channel

First open image on default photo app on mac. Go to photo app file menu, press Export to export your new png image. Disable transparency from export options before exporting image.

Then change old icon file with the new one from xcode. But XCode will still use old png image. So

Finder > Go to Folder > ....DerivedData > Move all XCode cached forlders to Trash

Product > Clean

Product > Build

Product > Archive

Upload

Open App icon (1024x1024px) in "Preview" , than Click on "File" , than Select Export option, Unmark "Alpha" than Save that Images.

Now Use that image in "Marketing Icon".

I also had this issue and fixed it by:

- Opening in preview

- Export

- Uncheck "Alpha"

to batch process from command line, use Imagemagick, convert or mogrify

finally i've got it working...

i'm using cordova and ionic, so i did:

ionic cordova platform rm ios

ionic cordova platform add ios

ionic cordova build ios --release

open XCODE again and checked the assets navigator to confirm alpha channel is off

archive

upload ok

and... i forgot to say:

to remove alpha channel, go to resources directory and before every thing above

find . -name "*.png" -exec convert "{}" -alpha off "{}" \;

Tried this and it worked.

Open the icon in MAC image viewer> Goto File > Export > Untick the alpha option dialogue box > export.

One other solution is to use tiny png com. It does the job too.

Xcode14.1 still Dane issue tried all suggestions here still no cigar