Disk not ejected properly

Since upgrading my iMac to High Sierra Beta I somtimes got the 'Disk not ejected properly' from my Thunderbolt 2 raid (still HFS filesystem).

After now connecting my USB 2 external disk to back up after about a minute or two it started to constantly connect and disconnect (Hole list of "Disk not ejected properly" in notifications).

Connecting both disk to my Sierra MacBook Pro does not show this behavior. Any idea what is triggering this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of nicolask Down vote post of nicolask
82k views
  • I have the same problem with one of my two Seagate 8TB USB drives. Both are connected to mi M1 iMac via an ANKER hub. The drive I use for TimeMachine has no issues. The other one I use for media files keeps popping up the "Drive Not Ejected Properly" message every time the computer wakes up. Per Seagate suggestions, I checked the cables, switched ports on the hub, set the energy settings to "Prevent you Mac from automatically sleeping", not "Put hard disks to sleep", and "Wake for network access". I also repaired the drive which needed repair. Seagate suggested that the not ejected warning would pop up if the disk needs repair. The disk did need to be repaired. This worked fine after the first awakening. Then it resumed popping up the notification. It turns out that the disk needed repairing once more.

Any suggestions?

Add a Comment

Replies

I am having the same issue. I am a video editor and I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 12.0.0 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on a BRAND NEW 2017 iMac 27". Randomly when editing (and I do mean RANDOMLY) I get this dreaded "Disk Not Ejected Properly" with regard to the LaCie 12 TB external harddrive that I am using that has the footage on it. Sometimes I can keep editing. Sometimes I cannot. It seems to be getting worse. This is a VERY BIG PROBLEM as I have to reboot CONSTANTLY and I am losing valuable time on my editing. I very seriously need a fix for this. Note that I have unchecked the "put hard disks to sleep" and that seemed to help slighly at first, but now I am having to reboot and remount my drive over and over and over. Someone. Please. Fix. This.

Apple Support recommended I reset the SMC, which I was very skeptical of as a solution due to its simplicity. It worked for a little bit and the problem has now persisted, but maybe it works for some of you out there. Here are the (very easy) steps:

1 Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2 After your Mac shuts down, unplug the power cord.

3 Wait 15 seconds.

4 Plug the power cord back in.

5 Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

• SMC reset on my M2 MacBook Air did not work for me. No fault found with diagnostics, and my OS has been re-installed for the third time with macOS 13, the latest being macOS 13.2.1 yesterday

Add a Comment

If it's enabled, disable Power Nap.

I've tried that to no avail. Sometimes the moment I boot up it comes up with the error. Sometimes it is three hours. Sometimes it is ten minutes. It seems to be totally at random. I could be idle or working - there seems to be no pattern whatsoever. Note that I have the drive connected using a Thunderbolt Mini connected to an Apple brand adapter for the older style Thunderbolt to plug into the LaCie drive. Not sure if that is part of the issue or not - but I have no choice as there is no other way to connect the drive.

Sorry it didn't help. I was having the same random behavior with WD drives. Turning off Power Nap worked for me.

How has Apple not addressed this issue? Has anyone figured out a solution?

I am having the same problem. I suspect it started to appear with 10.13.2 that I am running now. I have three external USB drives on my iMac. All of them randomly inform this one - I might have many many messages of this while I am gone - this . I turned off power nap, I turned off put hard disks to sleep when possible. Still getting the same error - disks dropping randomly off when system is sleeping

>started to appear with 10.13.2 that I am running now

Not being on a beta, you're in the wrong forums.

Apple Developer Forums is a community for discussing developer-level issues with Apple’s SDKs and tools. It is not an official Apple support channel, even for developer issues, and it’s definitely not the right place to feedback/get answers about user-level issues.

User-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to AppleCare's public community support forums, Apple's twitter support account and/or Apple’s YouTube Support Channel vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

https://support.apple.com/

Users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; Devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

For what is worth I've been having the same problem I'm on 10.13.3 on a new Mac Pro. This was also a problem I experienced on older versions of OSX. Perhaps a the OSX developers could include a permanent updated that could fix this? Or is there a some code to eneble some incative support via Terminal?

Any work around at all would really be useful.

> I encounter the problem only after updating to 10.13.3

Since your are not on a beta, you are using the wrong forums.

Apple Developer Forums is a community for discussing developer-level issues with Apple’s SDKs and tools. It is not an official Apple support channel, even for developer issues, and it’s definitely not the right place to feedback/get answers about user-level issues.

User-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to AppleCare's public community support forums, Apple's twitter support account and/or Apple’s YouTube Support Channel vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

https://support.apple.com/

Users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; Devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

I have exactly the same problem. I'm trying another suggestion--checking off the option in system prefereces for hard disk to go to sleep. I'll see how that works out.

Music professional using High Sierra 10.13.3, new Macbook Pro w touchbar. 1 week old. My main Glyph Studio Mini is connected for two seconds and then i get "disk not ejected properly" ...then it mounts, then its ejected, ad infinitum....

Dive is connected via (1 of my three NEW) USB-c to usb adapters. What is going on? I've been to the Apple store. Useless waste of time. Expecting a call tomorrow from tech help supposrt but not feeling confident.

The same drive works perfectly on my mid-2010 MBP and has so for the last 2.5 years.

This is SO frustrating! I can't even copy a large file from the drive to the desk top without the drive being ejected. Can't work!!

I had this exact problem when I installed a Western Digital "My Password Pro" Thunderbolt drive : it mounted for 2 seconds and then automatically ejected, with the warning "Disk not ejected properly". And then it started all over again.

Found the culprit : When I installed my new WD drive, their software "WD Drive Utilities" was installed in the process.

Now, launching this software will install a Startup item (I forgot its name) in the User/Startup Items Preferences which will then launch upon Restart.

Removing this Startup item cured the eject problem forever.

Could it be the same type of Startup Item that installs with your Glyph Studio MIni ?

so I was getting all these error and not ejected properly messages on my MacBook Pro 2016 ru\nning t\he latest OS high Sierra, and the hard drive just stopped working across all devices. Looks like my seagate 4 tb portable is fried. Now for the data recovery and a new hard drive. I have ju\st ordered a USb C hard drive. Hopefully that fares better. Sheez. What a waste, Apple! You just cost me a bundle of time and money. Phoooey to High Sierra. Stay away if you can.

"Could it be the same type of Startup Item that installs with your Glyph Studio MIni ?"

Thanks but no installation of software is necessary with this drive. It's just plug in and go. USB powered 1TB 7200rpm. I checked the Startupitems folder anyway but nothing there... what you suggested has made me wonder if the drive is actually running something in the background.... thx again.