Is it possible to deploy a Testflight build via MDM?

We have an app that will ultimately deploy the app store build via MDM. We're currently not in the app store but are in Testflight and would like to deploy via MDM.

Is that possible?

How does Testflight restrict what users can run the app?

Replies

Our app is intended for enterprises but not our enterprise. SInce its not intended for users within our company, it doesn't qualify for "enterprise distribution". We're planning to generate an IPA for app store distribution but distribute it via MDM at customer sites so that a config file can be included that is unique for each customer.

We don't have the app in the appstore yet and are using Testflight for testing. It would be nice to be able to distribute an ipa via MDM so that it can include the config file. Can't be adhoc because we have too many devices. Can't be enterprise because the app is not ultimately intended for our company's use. We're using Testflight now for testing but the config file can't be deployed.

So... the question is, can a Testflight ipa be deployed via MDM with a config file. How does it associate the user and ipa to know who is allowed to run the app. Is is something in the ipa itself, such as a provisioning profile, or is there some other wrapper. What is the internal mechanism Apple is using to restrict who can run the app? Can anyone run the app if they have a redemption code? Can a redemption code be used to get an IPA that can be run anywhere? Curious how the mechanics work.

"It's intended for enterprise distrubution on someone else's enterprise account."

Once upon a time, you could tell Xcode to not sign the executable, and then have the a second party sign the executable using their own signature. You should investigate if that's still true, instead of the horrible kludge you're describing.

Failing that, signing the appropriate contracts with the client enterprise so you can just build and sign the app for them would be the next logical step to try.

I never said its intended to use someone else's enterprise account. Quoting something I didn't say. I said the app is intended for the app store. Are you implying that an app distributed via MDM must come from an enterprise account? We're planning to distribute an app store, non-enterprise app via MDM.

Did we ever get an answer to this. I find myself in the same situation.

I'm having the same issue: trying to test AppConfig compatibility with my approved TestFlight build using our Company's MDM. I blew through one of our 2 allotted support tickets trying to get an answer. So when I get something back I'll share.

• How did you ever make out with this?

Add a Comment

Was this ever resolved? We are in a similar situation where we need to test an MDM deployment but can't do it unless it's live in the App store. Did you ever figure out a way to use Testflight?

Any update on this?