High Sierra asking for ‘disk password’ and won’t accept any

i Have an APFS volume high Sierra install and for some reason it rebooted/went to sleep over night.

now it’s asking for a ‘disk password‘ and won’t let me in. I converted a filevault 2 volume from HPFS+ to APFS and everything Was working.

I’ve tried the MacOS password, Apple ID Password, FileVault recovery key, and iCloud recovery key and none let me in. What password does it need?

Replies

worked for me!! thankyou! problem solved!!!😎

i got the same problem, but i do these steps:

1. cmd+R go to safe mode

2. go to safari by clicking get help online

3. go to this forum, and copy the commands on JohnsonYi (Dont type the commands, just copy the commands through safari)

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Recovered\ Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

dont forget to change ur disk

4. quit safari

5. go to terminal

6.Issue commands "diskutil apfs list" to find out the APFS volume disk name like "disk1s1".

For Macbook pro, the mount point should be "

/Volumes/Macintosh HD
"

For Macbook air, the mount point should be "/Volumes/air"

Let's suppose the APFS volume disk is "disk1s1", and you use Macbook pro(the mount point is "

/Volumes/Macintosh HD
").

7. Issue the following commands to unlock the disk

diskutil apfs unlockvolume disk1s1

8. Issue the following commands to updatePreboot for this disk

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s1

9. paste the commands that u copy before from safari and dont forget to change the APFS volume disk

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Recovered\ Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

this is how solved error -69836, and reboot my mac. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!! hope these steps could help!!😊😉😎

Problem is I can’t mount the APFS disk to copy the users/tokens into the Preboot volume. I’m able to unlock the volume disk, but said it failed to mount. I tried unmounting disk0 and unlock/mount disk2 as suggested, but same mounting failure. I can confirm that “diskutil apfs list” shows that disk2s1 is “Encypted: Yes (Unlocked)”. I had FileVault on in HS, then upgraded to .1 and this happened. Any suggestions or ideas from here?

Here is a tutorial that you can make a password reset disk with USB,CD or DVD , it is not difficult ,

More and more people like resetting locked computer in this way ,

This was one of the first things I tried but no luck. After running “resetpassword” from recovery terminal and going through the wizard, it ends up with the error: Failed to unwrap PCS wrapped key: Error Domain=com.apple.protectedcloudstorage Code=13 “unwrap failed with -2” UserInfo={NSDescription=unwrap failed with -2}. I even tried to first unlock the APFS volume before doing the password recovery.

I had to reload my entire OS because of the same issue.

Hi everyone and thanks for your input here!

I have the same problems with the final version of High Sierra right now.

Unfortunately I got another error when I tried to unlock with diskutil apfs unlockvolume:

Error unlocking APFS Volume: Couldn't mount disk (-69842)

Before that I ran diskutil apfs list and got different than croaker:

APFS Volume Disk (Role):  disk2s1 (No specific role)
    |  Name:                      Macintosh HD (Case-insensitive)
    |  Mount Point:               Not Mounted
    |  Encrypted:                 Yes (Locked)

I have no knowledge of that stuff 😀 And I couldn't find a solution with the error -69842 in other forums.

Does someone has an idea how to fix that?

Thank you so much!

Same here. Mounting from DiskUtil also didn't work – it asks password, but reject it.

Same here, the apfs disk is not mounting. Furthermore, in my case, using the command diskulit apfs list, disk2s1 status shows Encrypting 26% (Paused) (Unlocked).
After following the steps mentioned above I get the same error code pof -69836 Couldn't find database of user accounts. 😟 Really Frustrating. Tried terminal codes all night.

Thank you in advance for the help,
Sagar

Still can’t mount it. It successfully unlocks it using the “unlockVolume” command with my password so I know it’s the right password, but fails mounting. I partitioned the drive and installed a fresh OS on the new partition to get on with life, but left the affected old partition intact which is 80% of my drive, in hopes of solving this and getting back into it one day (since HS also corrupted my Time Machine password, maybe same bug or some other incompetent file system or encryption bug). Any ideas on what to do to when mounting a volume fails? Disk repair fails because it needs to mount to do most of the checks and repairs, so it doesn’t get very far. I was hoping I can exploit the “iamroot” bug on the affected partition since it goes to the logging screen when I boot into it where the password doesn’t work (like original post of this thread), but there’s no “Other” login so I can enter “root” and blank password.

exact same issue,

exact same solution.

I had to find another keyboard layout that I can remenber easily (in this case, a british one...)

It's kind of dangerous and tricky because you can really think at some point that you purely enter a wrong password...

Cheers.

Paul