Storyboard won't zoom when editing macOS app

I'm using XCode 8.2.1 on a MacBook Pro using the most recent macOS.

I just finished rewriting one of my early iOS apps in Swift to get it back on the store. It would be useful to some if it were available to run on laptops, so I thought it might be not too difficult to port it over to macOS.

Right now, for some reason the zoom controls are not present or working for the storyboard, so you cannot back out and see a complex storyboard clearly. It makes it so awkward and slow work that I have suspended developing this app for macOS until this is fixed.

This is such a major bug (which has been already reported by numerous developers, there is a whole discussion outside about this) that I would think it would get fixed pronto. But this doesn't seem to be happening.

Is this just me, am I doing something wrong, is it MacBook Pro specific, or is there a workaround?

Replies

You are not alone. Lots of posts around here mention this issue. I just discovered this myself when writing my first mac app with a storyboard. My bug got closed as a duplicate.

I only used storyboard in one app but on Mac I still prefer to not use Stroryboards at this point. IMHO, the greatest advantage of working with a storyboard (for a Mac app) is the zoom feature, which currently doesn't exist.

I always thought they should also have included the "zoom" feature in a regular nib (for both iOS and Mac) but they never did.

My guess would be that there were bugs and they didn't have time to fix it, so they just disabled it so they can work on some API changes, or so they could take a walk in the Park.

Anyone tried the latest BETA can confirm if this is fixed?

Kind of amazing that they don't fix such a fundamental and well known bug for this long. If I had a major bug that obvious in an app submitted to iTunes Connect, it would get rejected.

I'm staying away from the macOS platform until this is fixed, as I like storyboards and use them in all my iOS apps.

It would do us all good if someone got put in charge of unity and consistency between the macOS and iOS systems and tools.

This seems to be a bit ridiculous that storyboards for mac os apps have disappeared without any apparent reason. It would be nice if someone from Apple would provide an explaination for this. I mean we are only talking about zooming in and out of a graphic layout that worked previously. Is Apple throwing storyboards under the bus for mac applications. Come on Apple how about an answer???

>This seems to be a bit ridiculous that storyboards for mac os apps have disappeared without any apparent reason. It would be nice if someone from Apple would provide an explaination for this. I mean we are only talking about zooming in and out of a graphic layout that worked previously. Is Apple throwing storyboards under the bus for mac applications. Come on Apple how about an answer???

You would think the opposite would be true since they now removed the option to generate a new project without a storyboard. That is, if you want to use a regular xib you have to configure your project manually. I haven't tried the latest BETA. Anyone know if it's fixed in Xcode 9?

I've just raised a bug against this (33217575)

I can but encourage other macOS Developers to do the same.

This has been frustrating me for a long time now...

Pete

You are absolutely correct. More OSX developers need to complain about this with a bug report. I did so some time ago. I was hoping for at least an explainiation on why this capability was removed. No luck so far on that. If you have this issue, write a bug report. It should only take a few minutes and your really only need a few words to describe the problem.

Well, Xcode 9 beta still doesn't have zoom in macOS storyboard...

Seen in XCode 8.3.3.: They have clearly deleted all the zoom options (when ctrl-click in the canvas) and just ket Interface builder help.

It is difficult to imagine the reason why. I do not see what could make zooming more difficult for OSX storyboards than for IOS. Could iy be related to menu bars handling ?

I bet the code got a bit overcomplicated, and fixing it is harder than it seems, and nobody wants to do it or they aren't getting enough time to do it. But I mean, not fixing this for a year is a bit much.

Or, they just turned it off for no other reason than to watch devs complain as they ROFL at the peasants.

Another reason could simply be, they didn't notice because they don't use storyboards at Apple for their own development in OSX. And the're right 😁

i've accessed on Zoom in System Preferences > Accessibility

so its ON when i'm using Xcode

Check : Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom: ^Control

Holding down the control key and using two fingers scroll gesture on track pad zooms in and out and will stay at that magnification when letting go of control key.

Other features in Zoom may also be helpful, like checking 'Zoom follows the keyboard focus', and assigning your own keyboard toggle key to easily turn off the feature when not in Xcode, or use it in other software.

This is serious pain - especially when working on 4k/5k displays.

Givent the time frame since I reported this bug the first time, I am compelled to believe that this bug is not a bug but a feature which is too difficult for Apple to implement and would probably take a complete re-write of Xcode. Otherwise, they would have fixed it.

Anyway, I have filed yet another bug #35831433 and I suggest all you reading this do the same. Perhaps file it as a suggestion rather than bug !

I use this feature too on a daily basis. But it is not a nice workaround. One looses panels and have to keep zooming in and out all the time.

But in general and not just in Xcode - the Zoomer is a life saver and one of my favorite Apple Features of macOS.

The idea of designing your entire app's interface in one place (the storyboard) seems like a nightmare without the zoom feature. Unless you have an app with only one or two windows.

As things stand now, the arguments for using a storyboard for macOS are unconvincing. At least they brought back the checkbox in Xcode 9 so we can easily create new projects without a storyboard.

10 months ago I posted the original question.

I stayed away from MacOS development for that reason. I presumed this would be fixed soon. Nope.

It is just amazing to me that a company with Apple's resources would include storyboard in MacOS/XCode with such a serious shortcoming. It makes using storyboard very difficult, virtually useless.

I have noticed some impact of the more advanced iOS ideas penetrating into the MacOS world at last. Perhaps we'll see some progress on storyboard in 2018. Or not.

If this ever gets fixed, I'd appreciate someone posting that here.