macOS high sierra display flickering

Hey guys,

i have the 2016 MacBook Pro and sort of running MacOS High Sierra.

The problem is that for my work i need a second monitor which i'm not able to use.

Because when i connect the second monitor to my macbook i starts lagging about every 5 seconds and the 2nd monitor turns blue for a split second, which makes it impossible to work with it.

The 2nd monitor is connected through a docking station but it was working on MacOs Sierra just fine so that can't be the issue...

I hope someone has an idea what the problem could be.

• I solved the monitor flicker when connecting may Mac Pro mid 2010 and High Sierra by installing:

DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for OS X and macOS El Capitan 10.11, High Sierra 10.13, Sierra 10.12 Release: 4.1 | Dec 21, 2017 https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos

It's free and it seem to work for my DELL SP2309W Display. I changed the setting on my display to 1080i and get 2048 x 1152 resolution

Add a Comment

Replies

Not sure if this is related, but I'm having all sorts of problems running my late model MacBook Pro in clamshell mode. It was perfectly fine with 10.13 beta9, but the upgrade (?) to GM has put me in a situation where I need to unplug and re-plug the hdmi cable in order to get the thing to broadcast through external monitor, and even then there's quite a delay. It was all instantaneous up through beta9. Interestingly, when I opened the laptop in order to at least see if the internal monitor was "on," it flickered, too.

I'm having the same problem. I'm using Icy Box multi port adapter in combination with an HDMI to VGA adapter from the same brand. It worked perfectly on Sierra but on High Sierra I get the lag (making the mouse pointer and keyboard iunresponsivensive every few seconds) and the screen flickering, identical to timmetimme.

Hi all,

Adding to the complains, hoping some tech guys from Apple will read this :-)

I have the Macbook pro 15' from February 2017 (MacBookPro13,3) and when at work I'm using it closed, plugged to two monitors, one 22' Full HD HDMI and one 27'' 4K HDMI.

This configuration was working flawlessly under Sierra for months, but since the update to High Sierra official release, my 4K monitor is flickering at best, when it's worse the 22' Full HD monitor does not work at all.

I have to unplug/plug the adapters a few times until it works again, still having the 4K flickering.

I am using an Apple USB-C - HDMI adapter and a Minix adapter for the second monitor.

If I switch the adapters and the monitors, then the 4K remains blue and only the 22' Full HD continues to function.

I encounter the exact same problem with a mabook pro touchbar and a LG 4k screen.

Having the same problem here!

Macbook pro 2016. Conected to Asus PB287Q and since High Sierra my screen flickers and its like there is a virtual line of pixel in the middle of the screen of the monitor that breaks the image. If i restart it gets fixed, but quickly it starts again. This was working ok with sierra.

Same here, this gotta be fixed ...

Same problem here.

(MacBook Pro 2016 15" with Touchbar)

Same here with a mid 2015 Macbook Pro in clamshell mode. Using a Dell P2715Q. Super frustrating.

Been fighting this ever since High Sierra's release -- very annoying to say the least!!!

I am having the exact same issue, I haven't found a fix yet.

Apple, please address this!

Same problem. Called support. Tried reinstalling OS. Didn’t do anything. Screen is normal for the boot up animation. Then it flickers at the login.... frustrating.

The problem is evolving:

Since today's update (10.13.2), this is the same problem but without the lag. This is a good start...

Same issue for me! Life was just grand on 10.12.x, it wasnt until I upgraded to 10.13.1 that I started having the exact screen flicker issue as mentioned above. On 10.13.1, Flicker with a blue "flash" virtually disabling mouse and keyboard. Was really looking forward to the 10.13.2 update hoping for a fix. Now my issue is as Spk_FR stating. Mouse and keyboard seemed to be unaffected, Flicker with a blue "flash" like clock work about every 3 seconds.

I just performed an SMC and NVRAM reset to no avail...

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

Radeon Pro 455 2 GB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

10.13.2 (17C88)

I got this!

I had this problem with a 4K Samsung monitor at work. Screen was flickering every few seconds connected through an adapter with an HDMI cable on Sierra and High Sierra. It bugged me for quite a while (it was sometimes usable) until I decided to try connecting a colleague's similar Mac to the monitor. It did not flicker on his machine, and then after connecting to my Mac again, no flickering!

Some kind of firmware-based-settings in the monitor or in MacOS had to be "refreshed" with a "fresh" connection that this monitor never connected with. If you only have a PC at hand it might also work. Well, this is what I think happened. I will get back to you if this is a false positive and the flickering got back, hope they don't.

I have the same issue here. MacBook Pro Mid 2012 15 inch. Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB. Intel HD Graphics 4000 1.5GB.

How can this happen with a fine piece of hardware? This is unforgiving. I need the external monitor.