Disk utility High Sierra first aid fails!?

Just installed the beta of High Sierra on a mid-2014 macbook pro. System booted successfully first time. I routinely check that the FS has survived the upgrade process, so fired up disk utility and ran first aid on my newly converted APFS internal add (pci-e). Got the warning about the system being locked whilst this happened, then it hu June'sng at "checking the object map". I tried to fire up the feedback assistant and the system has now locked completely. Going to have to try a force reboot.....yuk! :-( Will report back later. Cheers Jon

Replies

Disk Utility looks good on my iMac 27 Retina Fusion 1GB.

Took about five minutes to complete "Checking fsroot tree"

The image I added does not display when my reply is Saved

It reappers when I open edit?

Strange...

Same situation here. High Sierra Public Beta (build 17A306f) on 2014 MBP. Clean install to unencrypted APFS volume followed by encryption via FileVault. Upon completion, ran First Aid in Disk Utility, and after a few seconds, it eventually hung on "Checking the fsroot tree." The mouse pointer moves around, but nothing else responds. The clock (iStat Menus, not the system clock) is frozen. Waited about two hours before finally power-cycling. Rebooted fine.

Tried again after booting from the USB installer, and it hangs at the same place. I guess Disk Utility isn't able to work on an encrypted APFS volume yet.

Just wanted to chime in to say that I am experiencing this hanging as well when attempting to run First Aid on High Sierra Beta 3. My HD is also encrypted via FileVault. Is the suggested course of action to turn off FileVault, and then run First Aid?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your experiences. Very helpful.

APFS has a looonnnggg way to go. Most of the issues reported with HIgh Sierra have to do with APFS. I can’t even upgrade my internal SSD drive. Hence its kind of a boring beta test for me without the ability to play with APFS. High Sierra with HFS+ is pretty much Sierra.

I have been having the problem with white screen. Even cmd+R does NOT bring up recovery disk/mode into play. After several attempts at single user mode, cmd+s, it finally seems to have sorted and able to login. The only thing I did different in cmd+s than earlier, was I didn't run fsck -fy. Instead just /sbin/mount -uw /, and then reboot/exit. Weird that it worked twice; but if I used fsck first, then on reboot, would again come to white screen.

I’m having exactly the same issue with MacBook Pro 2011, won’t boot too recovery ,tried usb reinstall , even had the heatsink paste re done on the logic.. anything I do just has Apple logo and progress bar hanging for ages then goes too grey/white screen

Disk utility is srtill brokjen - c anniot format or rescure anyting on releaased version of 10.13.1 - I can see that I am not alomne (via ofurms etc).

Experiencing a similar problem. Late 2015 27" Retina iMac 10.13.1: Disk Utility First Aid completely locks the system, even the clock doesn't advance. Only way out is to power down and restart. System appears to be workign fine... What prompted me to attempt to run First Aid was ARQ was reporting permission and access errors on a number of files so thought I would try to clean it up....