List available wifi access points in the same network.

Hi All,

I am developing the application to communicate with udp based wifi devices.But all the devices are connected with my office network.My ipad also connected with my office network.Now i want to list the available deivces in the same network in inside my application.How can i acheive it? .

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Why are you posting the same question from two different accounts?

Regardless, I’ve responded to you other post.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi eskimo,

Sorry for this.Actually this my personal id and another one is my official id.I like to use my personal id instead of official one.But unfortunately without checking the maild id i posted through my official one.That's why i posted again through my personal mail id. 🙂

So i will continue here further.

As you said in this post https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/91300#275434

i want to acheive both

1. Need to list nearby Wi-Fi networks.
  2. Need to list device available device on the same Wi-Fi network as my iOS device.

As you said by use of bonjour we can achieve "2.List device available device on the same Wi-Fi network as my iOS device".How can we achieve the "1.List nearby Wi-Fi networks" like how ipad is showing available wifi network in settings.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ganesh.

Need to list nearby Wi-Fi networks.

And the answer to that is covered in QA1942 iOS Wi-Fi Management APIs.

If you’re hoping to use

NEHotspotHelper
to help with accessory integration you’re likely to be very disappointed. There are both business and technical limitations on the use of this API:
  • Business — To use

NEHotspotHelper
    you must be granted special entitlements by Apple. As a business policy decision, access to the API is only granted to folks creating hotspot helper apps, that is, apps that help the user navigate a hotspot (a Wi-Fi network where the user must interact with the network to gain access to the wider Internet).

Note While I'm not directly involved in the

NEHotspotHelper
    approval process, Apple’s published information on this topic is quite clear. QA1942 says:

If your app helps the user navigate a hotspot (a Wi-Fi network where the user must interact with the network to gain access to the wider Internet), you should look at

NEHotspotHelper

Moreover, your use of

NEHotspotHelper
    , and other Network Extension technologies, is specifically constrained by the conditions laid out in the Apple Developer Program License Agreement.
  • Technical — At a technical level

NEHotspotHelper
    was designed to facilitate hotspot management and is not a good fit for apps trying to do accessory integration. Specifically,
    NEHotspotHelper
    does not let you initiate a Wi-Fi scan, or even get real-time scan results. Consider:
    • If the device is associated with a working Wi-Fi network, it doesn’t need to invoke the hotspot subsystem because it’s not looking for a new network to join.

• Hotspot results don’t change frequently: if a network is claimed by a hotspot helper, it tends to stay claimed by that helper. So, once a device has run a particular SSID past the hotspot helper’s filter facility (via the

kNEHotspotHelperCommandTypeFilterScanList
      command), it can cache the result for long periods of time.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
  • Hi eskimo , as you answered that NEHotspotHelper is not good for way to prefer for showing list of available wifi in iOS app, what is the right track to achieve this can you please suggest ....

Regards urvashi

Add a Comment

Hi eskimo,

Thanks for your inputs.

As stated by you,

'Specifically,

NEHotspotHelper
does not let you initiate a Wi-Fi scan, or even get real-time scan results.'

If i cant use NEHotspotHelper for wifi scan, what would be availabe framework that iOS SDK provide to do so,

We need this feature for the app that i currently working on.

Please Note:

The app that i have stated will only for a limited number of people and will be hosted in our in-house app store.

Hi Ganesh,

Where you able to do wifi scan ?

Any update on that, can you share your though please.

Hi eskimo,

Do we still need to get permission for scanning WiFi list in iOS 12, Xcode 10 ?

Thanks

Shweta

Can we finally do away with the Draconian control-freak issues? It is so frustrating watching Android take the technological lead again and again. The irony is that iOS is built on (open-source) Darwin yet Apple pretends they invented the OS. LOL!

what is the right track to achieve this

Quoting from QA1942 iOS Wi-Fi Management APIs:

iOS does not have a general-purpose API for Wi-Fi scanning and configuration. However, there are a number of special-purpose APIs, and one of these may be appropriate for your product.

My advice is that you start a new thread with the specifics of your product and we can discuss your options there. Tag it with NetworkExtension so that I see it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I install wifi networks and just switched from Android to iPhone 13 pro. To my surprise there is no iOS app nor API to access wifi signal strength for access points. What a joke Apple is. The problem seems to be greed from management instead of technical difficulty. I will probably switch back once Samsung gets a good battery life to compete again. What a shame really.