iTunes 12.7 Play Count and Last Played No longer updating

Anyone else getting this frustrating error? Since iTunes 12.7 when you play a track in iTunes or via Home Sharing the Play Count is not incrementing and the Last Played Date is not being changed.

However if you play a track on your iPod/iPhone and sync the track you played on that device is updating the Play Count/Last Played.

Seems quite a few users are getting this error. Some didn't have the error and have suddently started getting it in the last couple of days....

Any ideas?

Replies

Update: after performing the steps: "De-authorise your iTunes from your PC, sign out. Re-boot. Re-authorise and sign in." I can confirm it is working again for me.

I noticed that as long as I stay signed out from Apple store, it will update the counts. I did the deauth/signout/reboot/reauth/signin thing and it still didn't work, but once i signed out of the store again it was working fine. I'll probably just stay signed out, I hate the fact the iCloud items keep getting in my songlists. Just because I bought something doesn't mean I still have it downloaded or want to see it ...

Did the same steps. It worked for 17 songs and then quit recording play count. Arrrgh!

I've just simply signed-out and signed back in again and the Play Count update started working within Itunes on my Windows 10 workstation. I suggest trying this first before going through the re-authorising route. Not sure how long it will work for, but I'll see.

I have several playlist that rely on play counts or the last played date being updated regularly. My iTunes started doing this with the last update a couple days ago. After reading through the post here, I Signed out of my account. Signed back in. Problem Seems fixed.

No luck, but turning off the Apple Store did work.

This worked for me after trying the deauthorization route. Since I buy my music from Amazon, there's no need to be in the Apple store unless absolutely necessary. Thank you, I wouldn't have thought of this.

This did not work. I think I updated my phone to new software version on 10/27 and that may be the issue. Ever since that date play counts are not updating. It does not matter what device the song is played on. If I download a song via Applemusic on my phone that new song sync's with my cloud library and shows up on my mac with a date added. No play counts and no last played date.

I logged out, logged in my iCloud account, phone and mac = nothing

deauthorized my mac and reboot = nothing

called apple they asked me to update iOS to High Sierra = nothing

turn off apple music = nothing

It took apple services via phone about 15 minutes to tell me to update to High Sierra and that should fix it. nope, nothing.

I followed your steps but my problem still is there. When I play any song from my Mac on itunes, it DOES update the play count. But when i play it from my iphome, the play count stays the same (no updates). I believe the issue started after I synced my new iphone with my old iphone's backup data. Anyone can help?

I have the same issue on Windows 10. Resolved by signing out of iTunes Store, closed & opened iTunes. Fixed.

Thanks! This helped me partially. Now if I play a song in iTunes it increments the Plays and adds an entry for Last Played. If I play a song on my iPhone SE and then synch the phone with the PC, itunes does not update. This is all on my new, 2nd computer. iTunes on my first computer continues to work fine. iTunes on both computers is version 12.7.1.14 . Note that I copied my whole iTunes folder from my old PC ( ....\Users...\Music\iTunes) to the same folder on the new PC and my Playlist counts (accurate on the old PC) did not update to the same values on the new PC but continue to display the old values that the new PC had previously. I doubt that these 2 issues are related but as they both deal with incrementing Plays and updating Last Played, maybe there is some relationship.

I have the same problem as you. I don’t think it’s because you synced your phone with your old phone though. Because all I did was updating my phone and I got the same problem. And there’re like a lot of playlists on my mac but there’s only a few of them on my phone.

Anyone manage to fix this yet?

Is a fix on the cards?

XRayLexx, thanks you are a legend, worked for me on my 4S. Have a related issue [I think] that album artwork sometime does not sync. Anyone seen this and solved it?

Into this new year, and it still seems like SmartPlaylists are pretty busted. Any thoughts or fixes?